Adopted female dog, they didn't tell me she was pregnant - Page 13 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 71Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 03:07 AM
Crowned Member

I contacted the LA SPCA. I suspect that with some pressure they will investigate but I doubt they will listen to one crazy woman from Canada.
I cannot imagine a good resolution here, but I believe that people who rescue need to be held to certain standards.

I clearly recall a couple of litters that I was desperate to remove, but the owners would not give up mom, so I choked on it provided food and care to what I knew bloody well was a mill and bit my tongue for the long weeks until I could remove the pups.
In this case there does not seem to have been any urgent need to remove the pups and the impressions I got from facebook were of a couple of young woman playing.
A rescue has NO authority. If they believe there is a situation that warrants investigation they can contact the appropriate agency to investigate but they cannot just take your animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
I was wondering if a conversation requesting the puppies back ever take place. Or just banter back and forth she said -.he said.
I did ask about the puppies. I was told that i had surrendered them because I couldn't afford them and so she felt it would be irresponsible to release them back to me. when i initially spoke to her I did mention not being able to afford 7 puppies and that even keeping up with moms eating since she gave birth had been a financial strain. its something i easily could of gotten through for 8 weeks, even with out dog food donations, but I had said it so she was able to use it against me. As far as bantering and he said/she said, ive actually done my best to not participate in it with her. if it seems im concerned with anything she has said or done on a personal level im not beyond how it speaks to her character and ability to make sure pups are cared for and adopted. at this point i just really hope the puppies are placed in good homes and the impact of being separated from their mother isnt too great. also i hope Shasta, my female, continues to recuperate.
The puppies are with a foster who volunteers for the rescue, not with the woman who runs the rescue. she seemed like a very nice woman who cares about dogs. i have no doubt she will do her absolute best with them. she has young children and limited fostering experience, she probably wasnt the most appropriate foster for this given situation and they should of found someone who would be more comfortable with a protective female who just gave birth. Still, i feel that puppies are at least in caring hands with her. as far as the woman who runs the rescue, i dont want to say her intentions were all bad and hopefully this situation will encourage her to be a little more honest and ethical and to always put health of dogs over everything else, because i feel her most egregious action was declining alternatives to separating puppies.
post #123 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 03:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
I contacted the LA SPCA. I suspect that with some pressure they will investigate but I doubt they will listen to one crazy woman from Canada.
I cannot imagine a good resolution here, but I believe that people who rescue need to be held to certain standards.

I clearly recall a couple of litters that I was desperate to remove, but the owners would not give up mom, so I choked on it provided food and care to what I knew bloody well was a mill and bit my tongue for the long weeks until I could remove the pups.
In this case there does not seem to have been any urgent need to remove the pups and the impressions I got from facebook were of a couple of young woman playing.
A rescue has NO authority. If they believe there is a situation that warrants investigation they can contact the appropriate agency to investigate but they cannot just take your animals.

the puppies were fine with me. I built a sturdy whelping box and the pups and mom were in a safe and secluded part of my house. My only concern was always having enough food for mom, but im also a nervous person in situations like this so was probably over reacting. as i mentioned before i offered the keeping the pups with mom at my house. So this was by no means a dire situation where puppies needed to be removed asap. in retrospect i think i actually did a good job raising them all on the fly with no preparation or experience ever doing such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 08:02 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post

Well, I think one extra call to add to yours asking that they, SPCA, check to ensure the rescue is properly licensed would not hurt and may do a lot of good. Calling this afternoon after NW class. As for the rest of what was posted by the op, as was stated pages back, what's done is done imho.

May the pups end up in a great home and may mom thrive and grow healthy with the op.
islanddog likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #125 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I locked this to keep people from beating a dead horse.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page