Our dog had pups outside - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By cliffson1
  • 2 Post By selzer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Our dog had pups outside

So our shepherd just had 5 pups three days ago. She spends more time outside in the summer but sleeps inside in winter. She had her pups in her pen outside. The problem is she dug a hole in the corner of the pen and had the pups there rather than in her house. They seem to be doing well and we tried to put the them in the house but she moved them back. We are worried if it rains she will not move them into her house, anyone encounter something like this before??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:28 AM
Crowned Member

Does she have an adequate dog house outside with her. I'm not going to go into the pros/cons of outside/inside, nor try to foster my beliefs on you as I don't know your situation and I have seen many many excellent litters born both inside and outside....but the dog should have a large enough place of shelter( like doghouse) within the pen to move the dogs into in case of inclimate weather whether it is heat, cold, or rain. Mother Nature provides dogs with instinctive abilities to provide without our direct intervention, but I think shelter outside should be available for mother to use as she sees fit.(I'm assuming you don't live in climate that is subfreezing at present��)
Chip18 and IronhideKennels like this.

Last edited by cliffson1; 06-15-2017 at 07:31 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Does she have an adequate dog house outside with her. I'm not going to go into the pros/cons of outside/inside, nor try to foster my beliefs on you as I don't know your situation and I have seen many many excellent litters born both inside and outside....but the dog should have a large enough place of shelter( like doghouse) within the pen to move the dogs into in case of inclimate weather whether it is heat, cold, or rain. Mother Nature provides dogs with instinctive abilities to provide without our direct intervention, but I think shelter outside should be available for mother to use as she sees fit.(I'm assuming you don't live in climate that is subfreezing at present��)
She has a house but she is choosing not to go in it right now. Temps are okay right now and pups are looking great. We will watch for any heavy rain and may have to move them if this is the case even temporary until rain is over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

If the house is of sufficient size for her and pups to be in comfortably, I would take the pups and put them in the house....just to let her know it's alright....now if the weather is very hot, then there may not be enough ventilation and she may feel pups are better where they are. If pups are thriving, 😊
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Crowned Member

If she has dug a den for them, it is actually probably better for their structure than an flat dog house. GSD bitches have been known to lay on a puppy though, most of us use boxes with pig rails for this reason.

If the dog house is large and plastic/fiberglass, does where you can break it in half (disassemble it), can you put the upper half over the hole she dug for them, that way she has the puppies where she wants them and it will shed the rain.

my set up has a doggy door, and my bitches prefer to leave the puppies in the house, in the box, and go out do their business and come back in. The inside area is totally safe from other dogs and people though.

Mostly, we like to raise GSD puppies in the house, at least for the first 3 weeks or so. I worry about snakes, and hawks and eagles, and owls -- anything that can take a large rabbit, can take a GSD puppy that is a couple of days old. They are helpless. The dam will protect them. But can she keep off a weasle or a snake? I don't know, I prefer them to be inside. And they need to get used to household noises -- I know their ears are not open yet. But they will be.

It's up to you. My neighbor at the time, had a litter of four puppies outside in an igloo dog house. It was January, and yes, 10 degrees below zero. They had no bottom to the house, but some straw. All four puppies made it until summer when three out of the four were slaughtered in the road. I got the fourth before it got smooshed.

Now is the time to handle these puppies. Twice a day, you should be weighing them, and handling them. And you got to keep mom safe and calm. And you need to think about where you want the puppies to go.

Ah well lots of stuff to think about.

Good luck.
cliffson1 and IronhideKennels like this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

We do not have any snakes to worry about here in canada where i live. Pups are 5 days old now and seem to be doing quite well. Had maybe 2 mm of rain the one day but the large tree beside the hole she dug for them seems to add some protection from the rain. We will leave them outside right now and monitor them very closely but i do not want to disturb her to much as things seem good now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page