Medicated Shampoo on Pregnant German Shep. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Medicated Shampoo on Pregnant German Shep.

My neighbor, who is also one of my best friends has a Pregnant German shepherd. I posted a thread about getting a puppy from her before, but asides that, her pregnant German shepherd has been scratching herself a bit lately. A few weeks ago I bought a bottle of medicated shampoo and conditioner from Petco for my dog who had dry skin which caused her to itch, and this product helped her tremendously! I was wondering if I let her use some of this shampoo/conditioner, will it be harmful to the pregnant mama and/or the puppies?

This is the link for the shampoo.

I could not find the conditioner on the website

It was recommended to me by one of the Petco workers

Espree Natural Tea Tree and Aloe Dog Shampoo | Petco Store
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Crowned Member

Has the dog been checked for fleas?
Saliva from fleas bites can reek havoc on a dogs system especially a dog in her condition.
I would have her checked by a vet.

Essential Oils have their place and I use them often but it's a whole different story using them on cats or a pregnant dog.

"Check with a holistic vet before using any essential oils on pregnant dogs. In particular, do not use stimulating oils (e.g. peppermint, rosemary, tea tree) on pregnant dogs." Aromatherapy for Dogs | Essential Oils for Use on Dogs

Speaking of Tea Tree Oil here: "Safety in young children, pregnant or nursing
women, or those with severe liver or kidney disease has not been established. Use with caution in similar situations in pets". http://www.petcarenaturally.com/hand...a-tree-oil.pdf

For a natural approach, Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar from a health food store can help with itching. Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. You will know it is organic because you will see “The Mother” (which contains the medicinal properties) floating around in the bottle. It can be used internally (to aide in digestion) and externally (for itching). Make a 50/50 mix of the the Organic ACV with purified water (not city tap water) and after a bath with a mild organic or castile soap/shampoo, rub the Organic ACV mix down into the skin/coat, working in small areas, until the whole dog is covered including legs and belly. Always be careful of eyes (vinegar stings). Let dog drip dry, do not rinse off.

You can put the mix in a spray bottle and spray on their coats and specific itchy spots (if skin is not opened) a few times per day till you see improvement. You can also use this mix to wipe out ears.

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page