color questions!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

color questions!!

We had 9 healthy beautiful pups!! almost a week old today and doing great. I do have some major questions just purely our out of curiosity and please don't judge me for wondering and that I do not have the register info on my sure, mom and dad were health and hip tested. it's only that our males previous owner lost his paperwork and cannot lead me in the direction of finding his pedigree. We have several sables sales in the litter, our sire is solid black, dam is sable. I am so curious as to what some of these pups will end up being. there are a couple that are solid black but we also have a few mostly black except for under their tail, a few strands of tan on cheeks and feet. do you know the liklihood of us having saddle pups or bicolor?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160701_163009.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	375242   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160701_163309.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	375258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160625_161302.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	375266  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 03:59 PM
grr

Color

Black is recessive. Sable is dominant. However, if the sable has a less dominant trait like black, or the classic saddle back, black and tan and black and red could show up. If the sable carries black, the pups stand a 25% chance roughly of presenting it. Google coat genetics in german shepherds to explore coat dominance further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page