Unplanned pregnancy! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Unplanned pregnancy!

Hello everyone,

I own a 5 year old GSD who will be turning 6 in August. A week ago my family and I went out for a day and had our dog say in our fenced backyard. After staying out for about 7 ours, we finally came home. As I walked to the glass sliding door to let my dog in she was (not sure of the proper term for this) tied with my neighbors 3 years old GSD. Now, the weird and suspicious part is that I have no clue how that dog came in our yard. Their is no broken fences or dug up holes. My family members are actually considering the thought that the neighbor let him loose in my yard. I notified my neighbor and he didn't think much of it. In fact, he actually seem kind of pleased. Now here's where my questions begin...

Because this is her first pregnancy at this age, will she have any complications?

She is naturally a hyper and crazy dog who loves to run around and jump everywhere. She is a huge puppy even at the age of 6. I'm not sure if she would be a good mother. Do you believe instincts will kick in?

These are my two main questions. I believe I am able to care for the puppies, it's just her well being that frightens me. Mainly because of her age.

In fact, a few of my family members are telling me to spay her.

I just want to hear your guys opinions and see what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 02:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBuddy View Post
Hello everyone,

I own a 5 year old GSD who will be turning 6 in August. A week ago my family and I went out for a day and had our dog say in our fenced backyard. After staying out for about 7 ours, we finally came home. As I walked to the glass sliding door to let my dog in she was (not sure of the proper term for this) tied with my neighbors 3 years old GSD. Now, the weird and suspicious part is that I have no clue how that dog came in our yard. Their is no broken fences or dug up holes. My family members are actually considering the thought that the neighbor let him loose in my yard. I notified my neighbor and he didn't think much of it. In fact, he actually seem kind of pleased. Now here's where my questions begin...

Because this is her first pregnancy at this age, will she have any complications?

She is naturally a hyper and crazy dog who loves to run around and jump everywhere. She is a huge puppy even at the age of 6. I'm not sure if she would be a good mother. Do you believe instincts will kick in?

These are my two main questions. I believe I am able to care for the puppies, it's just her well being that frightens me. Mainly because of her age.

In fact, a few of my family members are telling me to spay her.

I just want to hear your guys opinions and see what you guys think.
Can you tell me more about your dog? Where did you get her? Has she ever had her hips checked? What is she like around kids, cats, other dogs, strangers?
At the age of 6 she has been in heat before, why was she left outside? Who is this dog from next door?
Yes there could be complications. Depending on your dog, they could be serious. Are you willing to gamble with her life?
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Can you tell me more about your dog? Where did you get her? Has she ever had her hips checked? What is she like around kids, cats, other dogs, strangers?
At the age of 6 she has been in heat before, why was she left outside? Who is this dog from next door?
Yes there could be complications. Depending on your dog, they could be serious. Are you willing to gamble with her life?
Hello,
Of course I can. I actually got her from a family friend when she was a puppy. She has not gotten her hips checked, but so far she is perfectly healthy. She loves cats. She was raised with cats throughout her short life. As for with dogs, she isn't a fan of smaller dogs like Chihuahuas but gets very excited when she she's one that is her height. She loves kids, a huge teddy bear, but when it comes to strangers she has her guard up, Once they get introduced she is a cuddle bug. Yes she has been in heat before, in-fact her most recent one was about 5 - 6 months ago.

As for the neighbors dog, he is your classic large Black and Tan. I'm not sure much about his past, but I however do know that he is papered if that makes a difference. I see my neighbors dog here and there on walks occasionally. He's a friendly big guy, other than that I don't know much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 03:38 AM
Crowned Member

If it was me I would get her spayed right away. At 6 years old you could be looking at complications that could kill her. She does not need to have this litter and the risk to her health and well being is real.
If you are determined to have this litter, both male and female should be in for vet checks to insure he has no diseases he could have given her, and to insure that she is healthy as well.
Then you need to start making sure that you have a back up plan in case you lose her. Bottle feeding a litter every couple of hours is tiring, you will need help. Put aside money for an emergency C-section and find someone that can stay with her that knows about whelping, it can take a couple of hours or over 24, but if things go wrong you need to recognize it. You won't have long to save her. You have about 63 days to learn a lot.
Again if it was my dog, I would be getting her spayed. Like tomorrow.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 04-16-2016 at 03:40 AM. Reason: error
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 03:52 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
If it was me I would get her spayed right away. At 6 years old you could be looking at complications that could kill her. She does not need to have this litter and the risk to her health and well being is real.
If you are determined to have this litter, both male and female should be in for vet checks to insure he has no diseases he could have given her, and to insure that she is healthy as well.
Then you need to start making sure that you have a back up plan in case you lose her. Bottle feeding a litter every couple of hours is tiring, you will need help. Put aside money for an emergency C-section and find someone that can stay with her that knows about whelping, it can take a couple of hours or over 24, but if things go wrong you need to recognize it. You won't have long to save her. You have about 63 days to learn a lot.
Again if it was my dog, I would be getting her spayed. Like tomorrow.
Me too, no doubt about it. There are too many unplanned and backyard bred puppies growing up/dying in shelters. Could this male dog have jumped the fence?
LaRen616, ugavet2012 and Mudypoz like this.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 07:43 AM
Elite Member

I would also spay in this situation. The parents aren't health tested, the female is older...not an ideal situation.
ugavet2012 and Mudypoz like this.

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Crowned Member

Have her checked out by the vet she is not to old to have puppies if she is healthy. If you want to have her spayed and not go through the pregnancy you will need to do it right away and that is only your decision.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:10 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

Spay her.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Crowned Member

They can medically induce an abortion. I don't know if that can be dangerous to the female. Discuss your options with your vet.

And I would be super enraged at your neighbor.

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:34 AM

The general consensus here is to spay her. I offer no opinion on that matter.

I am curious, however, how this happened. She's unspayed, you've had her for 5/6 years, you theoretically should be able to identify when she's in heat by now. You may have had valid reasons for not having her spayed (not sure what those would be) but why would you have left her unattended in the backyard? Especially knowing that there was an intact male RIGHT next door? There were other options that would have prevented this. Such as having a dog-walker come over mid day. Yeah, that costs money, but this litter/spay is likely to cost you MUCH more than the walker would have . . .
Mudypoz likes this.

Shirley Dodson

-Dogless for a decade . . . and it's driving me CRAZY!
-

-Be the change you wish to see in the world -

-Lady Savannah Victoria (GSD) - Adopted 1999, RIP 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page