Aggressive dam - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Aggressive dam

Hello! I really need your advice! It is the first litter of my dog and her behaviour to her seven puppies is strange, almost since day one. She keeps changing places, but only taking one puppy with her and leaving the others. We did restrict her at a quiet and isolated place within our yard, but she kept digging around the nest. For almost two weeks everything seemed o.k. The last two days she keeps carrying away one particular puppy and shows her teeth to the others, she has actually provoked small injuries to one of the puppies. The family members that she knows and trusts had access at her puppies only for a while during the day, and we also have two male dogs that cannot enter the place where the nest is, although they can see each other. Apparently, she doesnt like where her nest is,but then again she wont decide where to go.
She accepts to feed all of the puppies if someone is there watching her, but the minute we leave she attacks them. All of them are stressed, especially the one that she keeps carrying. They are 19 days old. My question is whether I should take them away from the dam. For the time being, we supervise her while she is feeding them. What would be the best solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Crowned Member

How old is she?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

3 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

She needs to be much more isolated and then watched carefully. It sounds like stress. She can see other dogs, is outside and isn't in a den. Just not a good situation for raising puppies.

Other options: Does she have plenty of milk? Are the puppies gaining weight? Have you trimmed their toenails so they are not hurting her? Is she getting enough to eat herself?

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

I have no experience with breeding but I'm not sure I would trust her with the pups. I'm not sure if she is favoring the one or maybe there is something wrong with that one? It certainly isn't good behavior or behavior that I would trust. Hopefully others will chime in soon.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

My bitches are all good mothers, so I haven't had this situation. At nearly three weeks, they are not ready to be weaned yet, but, they not only have 50% of her genes, but she is imprinting them as well.

I think I would take them away from the dam and raise them by hand at this point. Two week old puppies can walk, they shouldn't be carried by the dam unless the house is burning down at 19 days.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

We have now restricted the male dogs,so there is no contact with them. We give her puppy kibble three times a day,and also we supplement with cooked food, and milk.no,we havent trimmed their nails. She would go from licking them to growling. How many times should she feed them duting the day? They gain weight normally
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

I am thinking of a combination of hand raising and feeding under supervision. I have taken the puppies from their mother, as they are now quite phobic. Since I have not done it before, I fear that I might accidentally harm them. Also,how many times a day should I feed them?
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

I have to ask, was this female of good health and temperament before breeding? Was this a planned breeding? ugh....wishing you the best.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think you are going to like my answer. It may be best to call your vet and ask for a good milk replacer, there may be a recipe on here using goats' milk, not cow's milk. And, they can tell you how often they should be fed.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page