Adopted a pregnant dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Adopted a pregnant dog

Hello everyone! Im new to this forum but looking for some advise. I lost my GSD earlier this year. In November I finally felt ready to get a new companion, but didn't want a puppy. We found someone that was rehoming their dog so we got her. Anyways long story short we got a 2 year old female and it turns out she is pregnant. I've never even attempted to breed a dog so I have no idea what I'm doing. Vet said she is going to have them sometime this week. Can anyone tell me what to be watching for? Please and thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 09:55 PM
Crowned Member

Time to set up a box and put loads of newspapers in it. Spread each out and make the bottom of the box 10 - 12 sheets thick at least. LOTS of newspapers.

You can take her in and have her x-rayed at this point and see how many you are likely to have.

I would get on amazon.com and get a book on whelping and raising a litter and have it overnighted to your home. Read it. It will tell you about the possible problems during whelping, what to expect, and when to call in your vet if necessary.

Your bitch will likely do what she needs to do with the puppies. Sometimes it is best to tear the umbilcal cord yourself, if it isn't stressing her out. I usually let her work on the puppy, cleaning it etc, so long as it is moving. She will make it squeak, and it will look for the teets. If it isn't breathing or she doesn't clean the sack off, then you need to do this.

So long as it is ok, I leave it until she is working on the next one. Then I will dry the first one and put some rick rack on it, and weigh it, record sex, weight, color of rick rack and give her back to the mother and do the same for the second pup.

It can be a long night. Sometimes they have 2-4 puppies. Sometimes 6-8, sometimes 10-14. This is why an x-ray can be helpful. If she shuts down after 5 puppies and doesn't have anymore, she may be done. Or, she may have dystocia, and if so, the remaining pups as well as the bitch are in trouble. If she is tired and stopped for more than 2-3 hours, but you know there are more puppies in there, then sometimes giving Carnation condensed milk or white ice cream can actually stimulate the process and start her going again.

Before she starts to whelp, she will become restless, tear around in the box, and pant heavily. Her temperature will steadily go down through the course of a week until it reaches about 99 degrees and then it will dip to about 98 and stay there for about 12 hours or so. Then it will come up over 100 before she whelps. If you record her temperature twice a day, from this point on, you should see the 98 dip. Usually once that happens, pups will come within 24 hours.

If you got the bitch from a breeder, maybe your best bet is to call the breeder and see if she will whelp the litter for you. The bitch should feel comfortable there, and she will be able to come back to you 6-8 weeks after the litter is whelped.

It is an awful lot of work for someone who had no idea, and now it is happening within a week.

Good luck. Ask LOTS of questions. We will try to help.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Selzer I've seen you respond to many posts with helpful advise so I was hoping you would post on mine! Thank you. I emailed the guy we got her from and all he said was she tied once on october 23 but they didnt think she got pregnant so they didn't mention it to me. He isnt really any help. We set her up a box and did put a lot of newspaper in it and thankfully she loves it. She's been laying in there ever since. I did read about the temperature so we've been taking it. Last time we took it it was 100.5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

You're looking for a significant drop that will come back up, so keep taking it -- same time, twice a day, and record.

If her temperature goes down, comes back up, and she still doesn't present puppies -- this has happened to me, you will need to take her to the vet, and having these things recorded will help them.

It would be good to know where you have a good 24 hour clinic. Bitches generally do not have puppies between 9 and 5. They usually start this business at 11pm-12am, which means that at 2AM you are looking at your watch, and your bitch and your watch and wondering how you are going to get her to the vet.

Usually, and especially with a young, healthy bitch, you will not have complications. What to do is to know what to watch out for, and hopefully, none of it will happen. Win Win. If you know what to do and there is a problem, then you give your bitch the best chance of making it, and the pups. If you don't know what to do and there is no problem, then you lucked out. If you don't know what to do and there is a problem, then the results can be catastrophic. You can lose the dam and have pups that need to be raised by hand -- every two hours feeding 7-10 puppies, and stimulating them so they can pee and poop. Very hard to do. The bitch is the one that does the lions share of the whelping and the caring for the pups for the first three weeks at least.

Beg everyone you know to save papers for you.

If necessary, you can transport the bitch and pups to the vet, use a laundry basket for the pups, and a blanket. Don't put it down on the floor.

After whelping, keep an eye on the bitch. Young ones, or bitches that are unsettled in a new environment may hurt their babies or bitches that have C-sections, may not get it right away. Best to stay right with her until the umbilical cords fall off in a couple of days. Usually no problems -- always possible.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

What if her temp already dropped and now is higher? That would mean pups within the next day right?

When did you start taking the temp?

So after you told the previous owner she was pregnant, they didn't have any interest even though they were trying to breed her? Did they mate her with a GSD?

What a shock this must all be. Not to scare you but someone local just lost the mother dog after she had to go in for a c-section. They are now hand raising 14 GSD pups. I hope all goes well for you and everyone is healthy!!

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 12-18-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

We have only been measuring her temperature today since we just found out. She just started showing in the belly but her nipples were getting big so that was our first clue. When we told the previous owner he acted like he didnt care. He did however give us the contact information for the owner of the male. The male is also an AKC registered Shepherd. He told us the agreement with the previous owner was either pick of the litter or $500 so that we need to pick which we will be doing. It's honestly all a little overwhelming but I obviously love my girl and will do everything I need to make her comfortable and help her however I can. What really breaks my heart is that from everything we have been told this was done completely for money and nothing else had been taken into account. They didnt think she had gotten pregnant so the got rid of her. I suppose I shoulnt assume since they didn't outright say that, but that's how it feels.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

This is her, Leyla. She does not want to leave my side. She also seems very nervous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10156585008000508-1_1450502488558.jpg
Views:	7826
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	336122  
Old 12-19-2015, 12:38 AM
Crowned Member

the agreement was between Leylas previous owner and the owner of the male. you owe them absolutely nothing... if anything, the previous owners should pay the stud fee. I would not place a puppy with any of the irresponsible people involved. and yes I'm including the males owner in that statement as well.

wishing you the best of luck! good thing is that she doesn't look very large for 8 weeks...you should be looking at a fairly small litter.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:53 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
the agreement was between Leylas previous owner and the owner of the male. you owe them absolutely nothing... if anything, the previous owners should pay the stud fee. I would not place a puppy with any of the irresponsible people involved. and yes I'm including the males owner in that statement as well.
OP, the above is the absolute truth. Don't even think about giving any of those clowns a penny, much less one of the puppies. Both of them (previous owner of your girl & the owner of the stud) deserve new holes in their rear ends. If anything, they need to pay you for the hassle you're about to unexpectedly go through.

Big props to you for not only spotting this in time, but also preparing to do your best for the pups. Hope everything is as smooth as can be. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2015, 01:35 AM
Banned

I see I'm not needed here! And yep what "everyone" has said! Welcome aboard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in