Potty training a litter - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Potty training a litter

Does anyone start the potty training of a litter before the pups go home? And if so, how do you do that? I've tried leaving pellets in one area of the pen and sectioned off, then an area for water and food dish, then another area for play/sleep with softer bedding, but they just go everywhere, including the food dish a few times when I left it in awhile after they had eaten. I take them outside every few hours, and they all go outside, but as soon as they come back in to fresh bedding, they go all over the place again.

Or is this just something you leave up to the new owners? All the pups will be leaving over the weekend, so it's not super important, but I'm sitting here trying to figure out how you give them a head start I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

My breeder put wood shavings in a large box starting at a young age. That seemed to transfer well for my dog.

but to be honest, it's Wednesday. Don't stress yourself.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

That's probably where I went wrong. When I first got them I lined the entire area with the shavings, and they went wherever they were. After I realized that was probably part of the problem, I sectioned it into different areas and got the absorbent pellets for "potty area." They haven't caught on and it's been over a week .

But you're right, probably too late now, and since I will probably never have another litter, it's silly to worry about now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Crowned Member

The puppies are young yet.

I usually put them in an area with papers inside and then, weather permitting move them to an outside area that is all wood chips. After a week, I move them back inside where they can go in and out on their own, making sure the outside area has wood chips, and the inside area is pretty small -- 4x4. After a few days, I can increase the inside area and they generally take themselves out to potty.

This last litter, after moving them back in, no accidents in the house. But that does not mean they are house trained. It means they have a good start on it. They will still need to learn to let their new owner know when they got to go. Most of the people tell me they have had no accidents or only a couple, and house trained really easily. Sometimes hanging a bell on the door you are going to take them out at works really good. One day you are sitting there and hearing the bell, and wondering "what's that -- uh-oh, where's the puppy???" And you go to the door and he happily goes outside and potties.

The thing is, I do no corrections when it comes to any form of potty training with a litter. In fact, I never tell them, Go Potty, when I have them in the right spot. I set it up for them to want to go in a certain location, but I am not giving any negative experience about pottying, which provides a dog that has been kept clean, and has got the idea that pottying is best kept away from sleeping/eating areas, but has not been trained for this -- a blank sheet so to speak. So the new owners won't have to manage potty-issues before they can begin the whole schedule/potty training stuff.

Right now I have two yearling bitches and an old lady who share two kennels. They keep the front one free of waste, and poop in the back of the second one. How did they figure that out? No idea. But I like that they did. Some dogs are just cleaner than others. I have another bitch that just doesn't feel happy unless she walks in her poop, and she enjoys splashing her water, paddling it out of her bucket. Nice bitch, but she makes me crazy.

If you are trying to teach the puppies to go in only one section of an indoor area, you're probably better off teaching them nothing regarding pottying. Just let the new owners do it.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks Selzer! I've made so many mistakes with this litter I'm amazed they are still thriving! And the poor owners will have to do the potty training from scratch . It's far too hot for them outside, and while my fence does fine keeping Lyka in, there are too many gaps little puppies can wiggle through, so they can't go out alone. Heck, with how paranoid I am, I don't even let Lyka out back alone. The sides and back of the fence are very high, but the entrance gates from the back to front are only about 4ft high, and I know she can jump them, she just hasn't figured it out for herself yet
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:11 AM
Crowned Member

Dogs are resilient. Also, your people expect to house train a little tyke. If they were 5 or 6 months old, they may expect more.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:52 AM
Banned

When starting to potty train, it is important to clean the area so no scents are left ( I use lysol, let set then rinse with a water/vinegar wipe down to remove every trace of scent you can and to remove the lysol chemical from puppy licking)

Clean fresh bedding goes on one corner, newspaper or shavings go as far away from the bedding as possible. Then, you need to gather puppy pee/poop and place it in the newspaper or shavings area. Puppies "scent" where to go, so you need to initially give them a little help by "seeding" the potty area with pee/poop.

Getting a little poop when you take them outside to "go" is easy. The pee is harder, you just have to wait until one of them pees on the floor, get a paper towel absorb it and place it in the "designated pee area".

Wipe the area where the puppy peed with vinegar/water to remove scent. So now you have "seeded" the potty area with poop and pee and the rest of the area is clean. The puppies should gravitate to the designated area to do their business. It's all scent based.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks Stone, I'll try that out when I switch out bedding again today. I do spot checks in the am, and change it altogether in the afternoon.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yep, didn't work. I even built a completely separate area for potty time that they can access through a gate, and sprinkled some pee and poo on the fresh pellets. A few went potty in there, then promptly laid on it . The others are still going potty in the "play" area. Oh well, lesson learned.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschrest View Post
Yep, didn't work. I even built a completely separate area for potty time that they can access through a gate, and sprinkled some pee and poo on the fresh pellets. A few went potty in there, then promptly laid on it . The others are still going potty in the "play" area. Oh well, lesson learned.
Haha I just had flashbacks of Wick tracking his poop all over the place because for some reason he felt the need to walk in it every single time!! I can't imagine the mess a whole litter is making at your house I know Wicks foster mom trained them to go on a blanket by 10 weeks so it is doable I wish you all the luck and cleaning fairies in the world!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page