Urgent, need help pups/mom issues - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Exclamation Urgent, need help pups/mom issues

This is NOT my pup. I took in the momma, and the previous owner just messaged me saying there is something seriously wrong with one of the pups.

The pups are 4 weeks old now. Max (pup in question) was in the birth canal for 4 hours during the birth, and has been a little off since. His poop was white, but changed back to brown once removed from the bitch and switched to puppy formula. His eyes after opening stayed milky for a much longer time than his litter mates.

He is kept in a whelping box outside. We regularly have 110+ temps

He has been acting normal, and when the owner went to check on the pups this morning, Max is very ill. He cannot hold his head up, his jaw is clinched shut, and he has had very runny diarrhea for 3 days, no blood.

I called my vet and she said it could be multiple issues, but he sounds seriously ill. The owner cannot afford to take him to the vet, and my vet can't see him under my account until my account is zeroed for Lyka's appointment.

I've told the owner she NEEDS to get him to a vet asap, but she said there is no way possible for her to do that.

Does anyone possibly know what it may be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Sadly, she just let me know the pup has passed. This is the second in the litter she has lost. I am trying to talk her into bringing the remaining pups to me since they can be inside all day, and I also have the mother, so she can help care for them. She said none of the other pups are showing signs of distress, so hopefully she won't experience any more loses.
post #3 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:56 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry to hear that

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Crowned Member

I'm very sorry to hear that. Why exactly aren't the pups with the mother to begin with?

Very young puppies outside in 110+ degree heat... why???
post #5 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Apparently he didn't pass, but has a seizure.

I was told Lyka was not nursing the pups, and was being aggressive towards them, so she had to be removed. She then suffered severe engorgement and got mastitis as a result. She is being treated for it, hence me having vet bills I am still paying on. I took Lyka in as an emergency, and was not prepared, so financially it has been a setback for me, but I'm making sure she has everything she needs, even if I do go a little in debt with vet bills.

I'm hoping she will bring the rest of the pups to me. I waiting to hear back from the vet to see if I can get the pup in. A bill or two will be late getting paid, but at least the pup can be treated in the meantime.
post #6 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

She is going to bring the rest of the pups to me to care for until they are ready for their new homes. So that is some good news!

However, Lyka has dried up and is no longer expressing milk. Or at least not leaking milk, I haven't tried to express any to check. Should I keep the pups separated from Mom? Will it cause issues since she has been separated from them for a week now?

Honestly, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I've never had a litter, nor tiny pups. I'm not sure what to do as far as mom and pups go, and I don't know how to rear pups without a mom???

I am the only one willing to take in the remaining pups, she has no one else that will. She cannot care for them on her own, and thinks the pup may have distemper. Wouldn't that put Lyka at risk since she has never been vaccinated?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just at a loss.
post #7 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Master Member

I wish that I could help you, but I don't know anything about raising tiny puppies. I will send my good thoughts and well wishes.

~Vesper~March 28, 2015
post #8 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 04:12 PM

We got our first German Shepherd after the mom was killed by a mountain lion. The pups were only 3 weeks old. We took one of them, and bottlefed her the first week. At that time there wasn't formula for pups (at least not where we lived) and the vet had me make a formula for her. Then he said to switch her to moistened puppy chow at 4 weeks. That was much easier!
I would ask the vet, but since they are already 4 weeks they may be able to eat some dog food.
Is the mom good with other dogs? I don't know whether she would recognize her pups anymore, but if she wasn't good with them to start with, it may not be any better now.
post #9 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 04:35 PM

get them some good puppy food and moisten it.. or get puppy formula.. they should be fine at 4 weeks to eat wet food or moistened dry food.. I would keep all puppies away from mother until distemper is ruled out.. Its highly contagious and even having them in the same household could be bad news.. Get the mother in for shots asap.. I can't believe it wasn't done.. Accidental litter or inexperienced wanna be backyard breeders? Not good, so unfortunate for all involved.

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 243 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Backyard breeder. And Lyka has an appt on Friday for her first series of shots, the vet didn't want to start on them at her first appt due to medical issues (mastitis) and how snippy and scared she was.

I plan on keeping the pups in a tiled room so I can bleach the floors often, and keep Lyka seperated in my room in meantime.

I don't know how she is with other dogs, I haven't had her around any. She barks and
Growls at them on walks, but doesn't try to charge them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page