Male Refuses To Mate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Male Refuses To Mate

I have male and female GSD. She started her heat last Monday June 1, 2015. On June 7 they both experienced their very first lock. My female cried and cried and cried. It was horrible! My male seemed very calm and kept looking at her as if to say he was sorry. I know, sounds weird but it was evident he was worried. Everyday since then she keeps pawing at him, whining at him and he won't have anything to do with her. She's still bleeding but he won't even try. He actually snaps and growls at her. Female is 5 and male is almost 2. Did something happen to him that I don't know about? He's not in any pain, he'll play with her, chase the ball and walks just fine. He's not licking excessively, so I don't think he's hurt, he just doesn't want anything to do with breeding, whereas, before the lock, we couldn't get him to leave her alone and she was the one snapping at him. What's going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:25 AM
Crowned Member

This is a very very sad post

Normally, 7 days is not going to be optimal time for breeding....good breeders use progesterone testing to determine when breeding should be done to ensure the best chance of puppies.

Just having a male and a female dog and allowing them free access to each other is not good breeding practice....your young inexperienced male was excited and forced his way with the female...she was not ready and thus was not happy being covered by the male.....my heart breaks for the female to be subjected to this when she clearly was not ready! Hormones will dictate to her when it is time, and it will not be so horrible....the male???? Maybe it was a bad experience for him and he will avoid it....maybe hormones and instinct will take over and he will cover her at the "right" time....

In either case, by your own admission, you are very inexperienced at breeding. There are many many questions and concerns that are going to be voiced here because we all love the breed, we all are concerned at the overpopulation and the high percentage of dogs produced by pet people who have no experience and little knowledge of proper breeding practices, health clearances, breed suitability etc etc.

I would suggest you get a line of communication open with someone to help you. First you need to understand what makes a good breeder and the type of experience you need to gain before producing GSD puppies......then the dogs and their pedigrees need to be evaluated to see if they are breedworthy and a match.

Hopefully, you love them enough to understand the responsibility that comes with breeding and move forward in a positive way.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:11 AM

There is no need to be breeding if you do not have the experience.. Let the experienced kennels do this. There is no need to bring an excessive amount of animals into the world.. there are already millions in shelters.

Be the person your dog thinks you are

Bear - 02/26/15
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Crowned Member

If you are truly dead set on breeding and you have the right intentions.. then fine, but I suspect that is not the case here. Sounds very inexperienced and like you just had a male and female and wanted them to have puppies. If she isn't pregnant already, please seperate them and get them fixed.

If we are wrong and you have good intentions, please seperate them and educate yourself BEFORE you breed... and get with an experienced breeder who can help you through your first litter. This isn't something for a novice, you really have to know what you are doing before you just let your dogs mate.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfstraum View Post
This is a very very sad post

Normally, 7 days is not going to be optimal time for breeding....good breeders use progesterone testing to determine when breeding should be done to ensure the best chance of puppies.

Just having a male and a female dog and allowing them free access to each other is not good breeding practice....your young inexperienced male was excited and forced his way with the female...she was not ready and thus was not happy being covered by the male.....my heart breaks for the female to be subjected to this when she clearly was not ready! Hormones will dictate to her when it is time, and it will not be so horrible....the male???? Maybe it was a bad experience for him and he will avoid it....maybe hormones and instinct will take over and he will cover her at the "right" time....

In either case, by your own admission, you are very inexperienced at breeding. There are many many questions and concerns that are going to be voiced here because we all love the breed, we all are concerned at the overpopulation and the high percentage of dogs produced by pet people who have no experience and little knowledge of proper breeding practices, health clearances, breed suitability etc etc.

I would suggest you get a line of communication open with someone to help you. First you need to understand what makes a good breeder and the type of experience you need to gain before producing GSD puppies......then the dogs and their pedigrees need to be evaluated to see if they are breedworthy and a match.

Hopefully, you love them enough to understand the responsibility that comes with breeding and move forward in a positive way.

Lee
I don't see it like this. You make it sound like the boy raped her, and she whined and cried about it, so now he feels sad and guilty. Breeding is NATURAL. Dogs bred naturally long before breeders started facilitating the process. Yes, she is only 6 days in, but some bitches do ovulate early.

Progesterone testing is expensive around here. Unless you have a bitch that requires c-section there is no point in shelling out $100+ every other day to have the blood tested. Choosing not to do unnecessary testing does not make you a good or bad breeder.

With a young inexperienced bitch and dog, I doubt he would have managed a tie if she wasn't ready, especially since the bitch is mature. The bitch is just very vocal, she may have some form of vaginal abnormality that made the breeding process more painful than usual. She should be checked out at the vet, because it is possible that they should be prepared to do a c-section.

Some dogs are more sensitive than others, and her reactions may have made him cool his jets so to speak. Usually we do not leave a young dog and bitch together, because if the bitch lays open the dog's face it could ruin him as stud dog. Chances are this did unsettle him. Time will tell if he is ruined as a stud. I doubt it.

My guess is that his nose, knows whether or not she is ready to be bred or done. If she is still flagging and playing the hussy, then maybe she is still ready. Hard to say. It sounds like the strongest pheromones or whatever it is in the scent are not as powerful now, and the boy is just quitting because he is not as compelled to do that as the bitch is. A young inexperienced dog is more likely to score at the end of the ready period than at the beginning, because he will be inexperienced: jumping up and not connecting until she is irritated and chases him off; checking her how and chasing her down, only to jump off when he starts to penetrate and she cries; doing all the beginning stuff only to have her lie down, and his not being able to make her stand for him.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 06-12-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page