Raw feeding for pregnant female? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Raw feeding for pregnant female?

So Carma was bred during the last week of March, and has been on a raw diet for the majority of her life. I have read about the concerns of too much calcium for a pregnant female, and she mostly has been eating a beef/tripe blend or 80/20 beef/fat blend. Other than chicken necks/backs and turkey necks, she had also been eating a beef/liver/organ/tripe blend up until the breedings were done. We're going in for an ultrasound in a week and a half or so, but I want to make sure she's getting enough of what she needs, and would consider supplementing with kibble if necessary. Any suggestions from those who have any experience with this?

And a picture, for good measure

4/12/15 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bump

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I don't really change the diet of my females when pregnant except to be careful how much liver is fed in the first part of the pregnancy (too much vit A can cause certain birth defects), NO cod live oil (if you use it, I don't) and to decrease the bone in the latter part (so the bitch's body will draw on her own calcium reserves during whelping). Once they start to whelp then you can make sure they get other sources of calcium (there are many sources from ice-cream to tums to calsorb, etc.)

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:04 PM

There is a really good group on FB with some excellent files to read that I highly recommend joining. Canine Fertility, Reproduction and Neonatal Issues. I can add you if you would like.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

That would be awesome Lisa. Thanks so much!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:23 PM

HMMMMM It won't let me. I was able to do it before and then they just had to approve the new member. Just do a search for the group. The information in the files alone is worth belonging.

Lisa Clark

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Master Member

I can't help you with feeding, but I wanted to congratulate you and wish you the best of luck with everything.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osito23 View Post
I can't help you with feeding, but I wanted to congratulate you and wish you the best of luck with everything.

Thank you! I'll be sure to keep everyone posted 😊

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Has anyone else supplemented with a product such as Puppy Gold or CPN Structure?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 02:21 PM
Master Member

I watch the organs the first 28 days, then include it again. I don't supplement any "Mixes" - I keep everything very simple.

I don't up my quanitities until Day 40 or so. The last 7-10 days no extra calcium, just meat and organ. While puppies are being born I supplement calcium AFTER the first puppy, never before. Then add the bone back into their meals - balanced bone, but in every meal so you are providing adequate calcium. I am paranoid so still supplemented lol

After whelp, my girls get as much food as they want. My raw fed girl (Shepherd) would ONLY eat kibble because she would not leave her babies. She couldn't eat her chunk or "part" raw without getting up, which she refused to do, so kibble it was for the first 6 days. Then she switched back over to raw and I fed her 3-4 times a day. (The ground I had purchased for the babies was not adequate for her due to the cost of the product and the amount I would need to feed. Basically it cost me over $500 a month to feed 7 Shepherd puppies and 4 Pom puppies while they were here (9 Weeks for Sheps and 16 weeks for Poms))

My two other girls would ONLY eat raw after whelping - no kibble. Every bitch is different.

Puppies were weaned onto raw - whole ground beef carcass and warm water, then increased variety after several days. By the time they were 6 weeks they had a diet of beef ground whole carcass, turkey ground whole carcass, chicken ground whole carcass, beef tripe, buffalo tripe, chicken necks, chicken backs and Turkey necks)

I agree get on to Facebook and type in Dog breeding, Canine Reproduction etc and you will find an absolute WEALTH of info from breeders who have been doing this longer than I have been alive LOL Also, Canine Midwoofs is a good one.

I also found a mentor who has been breeding Berners for over a decade and raw feeding them to guide me on the raw feeding pregnant dams and puppies portion. She has been an absolute saint and indespensible.

Of the 7 Shepherd puppies - 6 stayed raw fed. When the puppy owners were visiting the litter they asked SO many questions about raw feeding, limited vax, etc and all decided to keep with the program I follow. It has been super amazing to see them grow and succeed with their handlers. I LOVE every one of them and the feedback on the litter has been superb!

Good luck with your gal - fingers crossed she has some babies in there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page