GSD whelping process? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Cool GSD whelping process?

Hi so I'm new to this site, but I just seen a video of a GSD giving birth and I would like to know is it normal for a dog to kind of push her new born pups around? The people weren't sure when the next puppy was coming, how do you know when the next pup is coming out? Does she lay back down to give birth or does she do it standing up? What is the normal routine when a female give birth?

I just found it really odd how she was pushing the pups around but at the end of the video he posted a pic of the pups and they all looked really healthy. I was kind of worried about the pups lol.

Ps. I'm not sure if I posted this in the right section.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I'm not talking about my dog if that's what you're thinking. I would like to know if what I've seen is normal. I'm also just really curious about this because to me it looked like it would hurt the puppies.

This is the link to the video I watched. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=51GOPA9Kt5g

Is this typical behavior for a momma dog?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Bitches are all different, but in my experience, they can give birth laying down, but generally they start digging at the bedding, turn around and around and push, and the pup is often hanging there, dripping water down, and then it comes down and will then lick at the puppy and then maybe eat the afterbirth, and then go back to licking the puppy, and yes, she might push it around quite a bit until it starts yelping.

If the bitch is not paying attention to the new born pup, you get in there with a towel or wash rag, pick it up, and clean it off and get it going, until it squeaks good. And then the dam will come and put her big nose into that. And then you can put the pup down with her and she will take over.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:21 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
I know slightly off topic, but Fiona (not pregnant) digs her bedding all the time and my bedding too. Weird? Normal?

Cheyanna

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply Selzer, I've never seen a dog give birth or anything for that matter so I was just curious. I thought maybe the dog was hurting the pups but now I know lol.

But would you generally be able to tell when the dog is about to give birth?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Bitches normally nest (dig at the bedding), circle, and will have contractions (so you might either hear grunting or see pushing).

Some bitches can be pretty rough with that first puppy, pushing it around, licking and cleaning it, until the next puppy is born especially if they are good moms. This helps stimulate the pup, get it dry and warm and gets them to push to get to the milk. It is normal.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 12:02 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDminny2823 View Post
Thanks for the reply Selzer, I've never seen a dog give birth or anything for that matter so I was just curious. I thought maybe the dog was hurting the pups but now I know lol.

But would you generally be able to tell when the dog is about to give birth?
Yeah, I can generally tell. Every bitch is different, and sometimes you can sit by that box for a good long night. I mean, most bitches pick the middle of the night for this sort of thing. But with some experience, you get to recognize the signs, those mentioned, and probably others, that after the fact, are not remembered until the next whelping.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Yeah, I can generally tell. Every bitch is different, and sometimes you can sit by that box for a good long night. I mean, most bitches pick the middle of the night for this sort of thing. But with some experience, you get to recognize the signs, those mentioned, and probably others, that after the fact, are not remembered until the next whelping.
Interesting. I want to become a dog trainer/AKC show dog handler/dog breeder for german shepherds in the future. I'm gonna start taking dog training classes so I can become a certified dog trainer which is why I ask and because I'll have this knowledge when I actually get to the level to breed high quality GSD's but that won't be for a while. Thanks for the responses, very informative.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDminny2823 View Post
Interesting. I want to become a dog trainer/AKC show dog handler/dog breeder for german shepherds in the future. I'm gonna start taking dog training classes so I can become a certified dog trainer which is why I ask and because I'll have this knowledge when I actually get to the level to breed high quality GSD's but that won't be for a while. Thanks for the responses, very informative.
The more aspects of life with GSDs you master prior to breeding, the better. Evenso, some things you cannot learn from books. Read the books, yes, because there is great info in them. And buy them, and keep them, and while you are waiting alongside the whelping box, have them at hand.

But, some things it takes experience for. There is only one way to get experience and that is to get your hands dirty. And, with whelping, you will indeed get your hands dirty. There are bitches and there are bitches. I have one who has never lost a pup or whelped a dead one. She can be with her puppies until they are 18 months old (or longer) and never be cross with them. I have other bitches who are ready to hang up their apron at eight weeks.

I have had typical easy whelpings, where you sit at the box and promise the bitch you will never put her through this again, but the pups pop out with relative easy and in a timely fashion. And then there are the tough whelpings, where the bitch circles and contracts, and no water, no puppy. She sits like a grasshopper, pushing, and no puppy -- off for a C-section. Others where you have to stick your fingers up there and help the puppy, grasping it so that your girl doesn't lose ground between pushing. And the one where the head was stuck and the pup was just not able to pop out, and into the car with her, to the vets, where I held her head, and the vet and the vet tech worked on getting that baby out of there. And let's not forget that really small litter where the bitch just did not go into labor. C-section on that one.

And then when you know there are more puppies to come, but your girl is wiped out and, you are feeding her condensed milk or vanilla ice cream hoping it will give her enough of a boost to start pushing again.

All that stuff though isn't terrible. Breeding isn't for wimps, though. You sometimes have to make heart wrenching decisions, and if it comes to the point where it doesn't rip you up, then its time to hang it up. The books fall short with everything when it comes to breeding and whelping. I think it is something you cannot wholly be prepared for, until you do it a couple of times, and even then you can be surprised. And count on it that you will make mistakes, and mistakes can be fatal, and you have to be able to live with that.

Most people will do ok with one litter. They may not run into any difficulties, and if they do, they will probably be able to manage them ok -- Expect some challenges, and you aren't surprised when they happen. But, when you have been breeding long enough you will see/deal with plenty of stuff. And for the most part, I think most people are better served not breeding their dogs. If at all possible, before you go the whole nine yards, foster a bitch due to whelp and go through it and raise the pups for the 8-9 weeks until they have homes. That would be better preparation (even if the pups are already born when you get them) than any book will be.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page