Tragedy and a Long Shot - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2014, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Tragedy and a Long Shot

My dear friend just lost her Irish Wolfhound to bloat. To compound the tragedy she had just whelped her first litter, Tyra's terrific ten. The pups are only two and a half weeks old. Does anyone know of any lactating bitches in the Seattle/Bothell area with spare milk that could nurse these orphans? My friend is trying bottle and sponge feeding and is determined that these little ones should thrive. She has lots of support from the Wolfhound community but I just thought that I would throw this out here.

Please keep my friend in your thoughts. She got Tyra right when I got my boy Havoc. She was only four years old. My heart is breaking for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

they are close - a week - to being able to eat alone.....

Such a shame about mom.....

sorry

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Old 10-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Knighted Member

I'm sorry I can't offer any help but just wanted to wish your friend luck with the puppies. I hope they make it. It must be like having a bunch of little echos of her beloved Tyra around. I hope she can keep one for herself to help her ease her loss a little bit.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Master Member

I started my Shepherd pups on whole ground beef carcass and warm water just before they hit the 3 week mark (they were scrambling for mom's meals already).

I would ask her if they are up and around, eyes open etc, you could just start them on some VERY soupy gruel? Either kibble or raw.

Hope it all goes for the best and absolutely horrible about mama.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I heard about the bloat last night and when I called she had survived surgery. When I woke up this a.m., she had passed. It's like a kick in the gut. My friends are lovely people and very responsiible breeders. This was their first litter.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehmannwa View Post
I heard about the bloat last night and when I called she had survived surgery. When I woke up this a.m., she had passed. It's like a kick in the gut. My friends are lovely people and very responsiible breeders. This was their first litter.
So, so sad

My absolute worst nightmare would be losing any one of my dogs, even worse with a litter of puppies to care for. I hope they were planning to keep one back, a little piece of their bitch to help ease the pain.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes, they were planning on one. I hope they keep two. They are starting gruel. I'll call later and see if they need help with a night shift.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry about the loss of Tyra. Sending wishes for the puppies to be ok. Cant imagine how hard this must be for your friends,

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Old 10-14-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry about the dam. That's tragic. On the pups hold back -- Don't hope for two - one pup at a time is better all around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in