Mother acting strange - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Rogue9119
Question Mother acting strange

My shepherd had her pups 3 days ago and we were having a hard time getting her to nurse etc. Now she does that but today she decided she wants to roam around the house and sit on the couch, she checks on the pups all the time, every few minutes but will go in there and whine at them as they whine. She does have massive anxiety issues. She also kept trying to hide the smallest of the two pups, the other two passed over the rainbow bridge.

Reich's MOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Why would you breed a dog with "massive anxiety issues"????

Anyway, this fault in temperament may well be making it difficult for her to settle down and care for them properly. On the other hand, once the pups are a few days old it is not abnormal for the female to leave for a few minutes and not spend every moment with them. Are they gaining weight every day? If they are gaining weight and are otherwise healthy, then she is spending enough time with them to nurse them properly. If not, then you may need to find a way to encourage her to spend more time with them and nurse more. What sort of whelping/puppy set up do you have? You may need to set up an ex-pen or find some other way to confine her to the general area where the pups are located. You may also need to go in with her and encourage her to nurse if you don't feel that they are getting enough milk.

As for the small one that she keeps pushing aside, there may be a reason for that and some sort of defect in the pup that is causing this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I did not breed her!! I saved her and she was pregnant!!! She had four homes in two years and her previous owner bred her, stuck her in a horse stall and let her rot pretty much. When I got her she almost lost her foot thanks to the woman.

She has a large whelping box with heat lamp, in a room all to herself away from my other shepherd. We have had to force her to let them latch on, other than that she cleans them, did fine giving birth, watches them like a hawk just doesnt want to be in there it seems.

Reich's MOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Glad to hear this wasn't intentional and thank you for rescuing her!

I would keep encouraging her to nurse, praising and petting her when doing so. This is partly to help show her that this is the right thing to do, but also partly because nursing stimulates oxytocin production in the bitch and that oxytocin provides a very pleasant experience for the female and helps relax her and bring out more of the mothering instinct so that the more they nurse the pups, the more they enjoy it and want to do it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou so much for the advice, I will give it a shot.

Reich's MOM
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Crowned Member

I once rescued a heavily pregnant dog from the pound (a day before she was to be killed). I am sure she was bred on her first heat and after birth she preferred playing with my (young) dogs instead of tending to her pups. She did show the same interest as you are describing and was also protective of them towards my dogs. I put her and the pups (in a kiddie pool) in an Xpen every time the pups were restless and for the nights as well so the only thing for her to do was hanging out with her puppies. I struggled with that for four weeks and was relieved once they finally got to eat solid food. All ten (!!!!) pups made it. She enjoyed playing with them. OMG what a job that was. But so rewarding and one of the most fun adventures of my life. Enjoy, they are grown before you know it, like our own kiddos.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Wow thats amazing, your a hero!!!

Reich's MOM
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

Just a thought - maybe check the heat lamp - could it be too warm for the momma? Possibly why she is unsettled in the whelp box?

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I will

Reich's MOM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page