EMeRGeNCY HELP NEEDED - Very Sad - Dam Passed Leaving 12 Puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

EMeRGeNCY HELP NEEDED - Very Sad - Dam Passed Leaving 12 Puppies

I lost my female GSD today.. She was my love. But she had a litter of 12 pups a week ago. I now have3 12 puppies and need to keep them alive. Please help!! what do I do??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna2012 View Post
I lost my female GSD today.. She was my love. But she had a litter of 12 pups a week ago. I now have3 12 puppies and need to keep them alive. Please help!! what do I do??
I notified so that maybe someone can get this into the breeding section where you can get the help you need. Keep those babies warm. And hopefully we can have a thread for just this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

What did your bitch die of?

You need a good formula for the puppies. It is probably good that they are a week old, they got the cholostrum from their dam, which should give them good protection down the line. At this point, the vet probably gave you some milk replacement formula?

Some people prefer to use goats milk and add some ingredients to this. Google milk replacement for puppies, goats milk, etc. I think it is better than the can of puppy milk replacer.

Has the vet taught you to tube feed? This is something that can be scary to look at, but it is a LOT quicker than trying to bottle feed 12 puppies. Make sure all the puppies are pottying on their own. I am not exactly sure when they start doing this on their own. Use warm water and moisten a soft cloth and clean the pup the way a mother would with her tongue, especially to make them potty and clean it up.

Keeping them warm, fed, and clean are the important stuff right now. If you do not have a heat lamp, get one and put it in a corner of the whelping box. If the puppies are huddled together, they are too cold. If a pup is off by itself, it may be cold. If all the puppies are laying apart, they may be a little warm. The box needs to be warm, that corner should be around 90 degrees. You can use a heating pad so long as it is removed before the puppies start teething on the cord and they can choose to lay on it or not.

What I did was to put the light over some towels in the a corner for my singleton. Then I took some bags of salt-fluid that they sent home with me from the ER and nuked them wrapped them in towels and put them under the heat lamp to keep a warmish bed for the puppy. she could move there or move off of there.

You need to feed those puppies often. The vet can tell you exactly how much by weight, and then how often. I am thinking at a week, they need to eat every 3-4 hours.

Good luck.

Sue

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:09 PM
Knighted Member

Using the warm moist towel or cloth to gently rub their stomachs and genitals after feeding is VERY important. They need this in order to poop. I had a friend several years ago that did not know this and all her puppies died.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:23 PM

The mom of the litter I am getting my puppy from passed away after she had a c section. I am so sorry it's awful. This happened Oct 2. Some puppies died as well and breeder is left with 5 males 1 female. She fed them with a syringe then a bottle every 2 hours for the first 2 weeks. Stimulate them to go to the bathroom after their feedings as well. It was a long road for her but very rewarding as well. Keep them warm!! There were 10 puppies left and a few passed within the first 8 days. If you aren't experienced I would definitely get the vet to help you.

Last edited by My5dogs; 10-29-2013 at 06:27 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

Have the vet show you how to tube feed. They can give you what you need. If you just use an ear-cleaner thing, your pups will drown. The vet can show you how to check with a little water if you are in the right way. It really is not as hard as it sounds. It is a lot easier than trying to get the puppies to suck on a bottle enough to get them to gain the weight they need.

I hope you have a kitchen scale. You need to weigh them twice a day, and ensure they are all gaining weight.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I wanted to let everyone know how the litter of pups are doing.. I kept one, my in laws kept two, and with the help of the local humane society, we were able to find fosters and experienced bottle feeders, most who have gsd's, to help care for all the pups within an hour of my post. So far, at slightly more than 3 weeks, all are alive and well! They should be ready for adoption in a few weeks from their fosters. (I traded the well being of the pups, for being able to keep them and find them homes. I consider it a good trade.. they are alive and thriving!) If anyone is interested in adopting any of them, msg me! There are 6 white, two sable, one black and tan. (we kept the two brindles and one black and tan.) I'll post pictures soon!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Crowned Member

They should stay with a few littermates until 8 weeks so they can learn from each other. When pups are taken away individually before 7-8 weeks, they don't always learn bite inhibition or dog manners.

Glad to hear they all survived. After not responding after you started this thread, We feared the worst. Good to read they are thriving! What a collection of colors you have....who is(are) the sire(s)?

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna2012 View Post
Hey everyone, I wanted to let everyone know how the litter of pups are doing.. I kept one, my in laws kept two, and with the help of the local humane society, we were able to find fosters and experienced bottle feeders, most who have gsd's, to help care for all the pups within an hour of my post. So far, at slightly more than 3 weeks, all are alive and well! They should be ready for adoption in a few weeks from their fosters. (I traded the well being of the pups, for being able to keep them and find them homes. I consider it a good trade.. they are alive and thriving!) If anyone is interested in adopting any of them, msg me! There are 6 white, two sable, one black and tan. (we kept the two brindles and one black and tan.) I'll post pictures soon!
It would help if you posted where you are located. People might be interested in adopting but live 800 miles from you.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 AM
Elite Member

Just curious what the story is behind this litter? I know this is a difficult time for you, but it's a good lesson for those thinking about breeding....it shows the hardships that can occur. Was it an accidental breeding? Glad to hear your local shelter was able to help you. Good luck :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page