first heat pregnancy????? please reply - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2013, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

first heat pregnancy????? please reply

Ok, i got Bella around the end of may when she was about 6 months old. it only took about a week before she would come when called and knew how to sit and lay down on command. We used to live in a house on 3 unfenced acres(we just moved on Friday the 25, to a house on 12 acres in the country and i'm going to put cattle panels around 8 of the acres soon.)
Well anyway our next door neighbor had a pair of 8 year old standard poodles Dan a male and Ann a female, Dan still intact. Well one day, near the end of bellas first heat, mom let her outside at around 7am after she woke up and went to let her back in about 15 min later(she knew to always stay in the yard). Well long story short she decided to pay Dan a visit and i ran out to go get her and saw Dan humping her. This was around the end of august. Bella was born September 25th 2012.

well for the past month or so the skin around her nipples has seemed a bit puffy and when she sits the skin between her back legs sags a bit which it hasn't before.

What im wondering is if you think she is pregnant or if this is a false pregnancy? I never wanted this to happen. We planned on waiting till she reached 2 before breeding her to a GSD. The one good thing about all this is they both have papers and both have good hips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Take her to a vet for x-ray or ultrasound...then at least you'll know for sure and how many pups may be expected. Papers mean nothing in this scenario....
If she is not yet two, how was it determined that her hips were good?

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Old 10-28-2013, 11:04 PM
Crowned Member

Well, if she is pregnant, then puppies are due in a week more or less. Who cares about registration papers with mutt puppies?

All bets are off when you have a bitch in heat. You cannot expect a bitch in standing heat to stay in her yard, especially a puppy. You flunked this test. The chances are overwhelmingly in favor of your bitch being pregnant. It could be a false pregnancy, but she is young and probably fertile, most likely there is no reason for it not to have taken.

Two choices now are spay/abort or have the litter and find homes for a bunch of shepherdoodles. At a year old, your bitch is likely full grown, she is young but probably strong enough to have the puppies. Shepherd pups are normally long and skinny so there may not be any complications -- don't count on this, get a book so that you can recognize the signs of trouble and get help if you need it. Youngsters sometimes are not ready to have puppies, so great care is needed for the first few days to ensure that she is fully taking on her role. Plan to take a week off of work if you are working.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Shepadoodle

well apparently Shepadoodles are a real breed(well crossbreed anyway) and people actually breed them and sell them. I'm a 11th grade Homeschooler so i have plenty of time to take care of pups and they would be sent to good homes. I am an animal lover and volunteer at a pet resort/pet hospital (im going to be a vet tech) so i have seen lots of surgery and my dad is in the medical field and tells us stories about work that sound like there from a horror movie, so i am not squeamish at all. I already have a couple of people that would love to have a puppy if there are any. Her breeder she came from is very reputable and has never taken a dog in with bad hips so that increases Bella's chances of having good hips.
I know some of you turn your noses up at any dog that isn't purebred and think I'm just a stupid high schooler but i have assisted in birthing 2 litters before(Chihuahua and a Great Dane) when they were short handed at the pet hospital so i know what should and could happen. I did a whole lot of research about breeding and birthing puppies a few months before we even got her.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Go to the vet and have her checked to see if she is really pregnant so that you can plan properly. And if she is pregnant, do consider a spay/abort. Bella is essentially just a puppy herself still, mentally and physically, and is too young to be asking her to take on the job of whelping and raising a litter.

The world does not need more mutt puppies from unproven, unhealth tested dogs even if people do like to slap cute names like "Shepadoodles" on them in order to market them to the ignorant pet owning population. Shelters are full of mixed breed, and purebred, dogs from this sort of ill advised breeding. Good, responsible breeders of purebred dogs are always welcome and the breeds need new breeders of this type in order to be preserved. However having a mixed breed litter, and future planning of a purebred litter without intending to train, title, health test the breeding stock and put a lot of research into bloodlines and pedigrees in order to ensure a good genetic match, are not the ways to start out becoming a good breeder. There is a LOT to good breeding beyond the science/medical aspect and being able to whelp and care for pups. Actually, that is the smallest part of being a good breeder.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandagirl813 View Post
I know some of you turn your noses up at any dog that isn't purebred and think I'm just a stupid high schooler but i have assisted in birthing 2 litters before(Chihuahua and a Great Dane) when they were short handed at the pet hospital so i know what should and could happen. I did a whole lot of research about breeding and birthing puppies a few months before we even got her.
Please make no mistake. I don't think there is a single person on this forum who thumbs their noses at mixed breed dogs. Many, many of us have mixes.

There are also many, many members on this forum who are still in school, living with their parents.

My concern is solely for your puppy having puppies.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses, it has helped alot. We are taking her to the vet next week to see if she really is pregnant.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:34 AM
Crowned Member

Shepadoodles? Don't believe I've heard that one, but i guess you can combine anything with "doodle" these days to make it sound legit. Not a real breed though - these puppies are mutts.

Definitely get her to the vet asap. If you can do an emergency spay - i'd go that route.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wild View Post
Go to the vet and have her checked to see if she is really pregnant so that you can plan properly. And if she is pregnant, do consider a spay/abort. Bella is essentially just a puppy herself still, mentally and physically, and is too young to be asking her to take on the job of whelping and raising a litter.

The world does not need more mutt puppies from unproven, unhealth tested dogs even if people do like to slap cute names like "Shepadoodles" on them in order to market them to the ignorant pet owning population. Shelters are full of mixed breed, and purebred, dogs from this sort of ill advised breeding. Good, responsible breeders of purebred dogs are always welcome and the breeds need new breeders of this type in order to be preserved. However having a mixed breed litter, and future planning of a purebred litter without intending to train, title, health test the breeding stock and put a lot of research into bloodlines and pedigrees in order to ensure a good genetic match, are not the ways to start out becoming a good breeder. There is a LOT to good breeding beyond the science/medical aspect and being able to whelp and care for pups. Actually, that is the smallest part of being a good breeder.
Can't say it better than that. Nobody here is going to support the breeding of "Shepadoodles" but some people may offer advice, though in reality you need to consult your veterinarian and work with your vet.

Nobody here has anything bad to say about mixed breed dogs, we all love them and many own mixed breeds themselves. What the community doesn't like is irresponsible breeding.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Service Dog, Retired Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

Old 10-29-2013, 11:39 AM

Um, if she was bred at the end of August, you probably don't have until next week. Get your pup to the vet today. Since your mom turned her loose while in heat, she should at least be willing to get her checked. I'd say its way too late for a spay/abort, but hopefully it'll be a small litter.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in