Issues with male dog in the house with pregnant female - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Issues with male dog in the house with pregnant female

I have a questions......first off allow me to apologize for using another's thread to ask my question for I am unable to figure out how to start one from my pone. Second, please don't go off on me about spay/neuter. Yes my GSD is pregnant. It was an accident. My friend took the dogs out while I was taking care of my horse and didn't lock the male's crate properly and he got out.
Asied frome puppies being on the way, her is my delima sp?. My male is a hybrid. He is timber wolf/ german shepherd. My female is very submissive to him. He is crated when they eat because they are on different feed. He will yip while in his crate and she will walk away from her food. My concern is that my female will try to stop having her puppies if he does his yipping. I thought about asking the vet for a sedative for him but I don't know how long she will be in labor. I sure don't want to over sedate him. I really don't have anyone that can take him for this big event. I also wonder if I did find someone to take him, how would he react to puppies when he comes home? Any suggestions, besides spay/neuter/abortion?
Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 PM

I'll pm a mod to have your question put in it's own topic

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 10:55 PM

this may be too obvious of a solution, but why not just crate him elsewhere when she starts to show signs of labor - or keep him outside. You say you have a horse? / horses? do they have a barn or lean to you could put him in... just my thinking... Dixie was in labor for almost 18 hrs and i just put her in the laundry room where the door shuts - the others weren't even aware she was in labor...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

My shepherd can't go any where in the house without him freaking out. It has come to the point that I can't sleep upstairs in my bed because my shepherd goes with me. He will yip, whine and bark until one of us goes back down stairs.
I have a two stall barn. Once I had to lock the wolf in one of the stalls because he had gotten loose and rolled in a rotted carcus. The next day he scaled the 8 foot wall divoding the stalls and luckily came to the front door. I can't leave him where my horses are because there are thoroughbreds tjere that aren't used to dogs, let alone a wolf.
I don't think he would do good at all at a kennel either. My only other option is to ask the vet for a sedative.
Thank you for replying. Also, thank you to the Mod for giving me my own thread.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Elite Member

Move your male's crate to a new location and either get used to the yipping for a few days until he calms down or get a bark deterrent if you can't handle it. If he is causing damage to himself in his crate, talk to your vet and ace him for the first night to take the edge off.

The dam's health and comfort is currently paramount. Get her into a safe, comfortable location with her whelping area/box/pool and keep her stress down. She won't 'suck the pups back in', but it can cause complications if she's stressed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't use ace, I'd ask for a calming med and do it before she whelps so you can see how he reacts to it. Xanax or valium (though Xanax needs to be given regularly, not just a one time thing for better effectiveness(according to my vet)
Ace is a drug that can cause agitation, not relaxation.
I think valium would be the best way to go, but consult your vet or a behaviorist to see which med would be easiest on the dog. I am not a fan of Ace, it doesn't slow the mind, just makes the body groggy/which is frustrating to the animal.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I wouldn't use ace, I'd ask for a calming med and do it before she whelps so you can see how he reacts to it. Xanax or valium (though Xanax needs to be given regularly, not just a one time thing for better effectiveness(according to my vet)
Ace is a drug that can cause agitation, not relaxation.
I think valium would be the best way to go, but consult your vet or a behaviorist to see which med would be easiest on the dog. I am not a fan of Ace, it doesn't slow the mind, just makes the body groggy/which is frustrating to the animal.
Very true, but ultimately I don't think that medicating is the answer in either case. Management is the answer. Although this wasn't an intentional happenstance on your part it's still your responsibility now. Yipping and howling is something you'll either have to get used to or manage.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

I think during the whelp if the male is out of control it would be ok to medicate with a relaxant, but not ace. Even rescue remedy would be better than nothing(or ace) Not like this can be trained out before the delivery. And as you posted ' The dam's health and comfort is currently paramount'

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Crowned Member

I would board the male at a place like the vet. They have secure kennels and many dogs go through SA during boarding. Get him out of the picture but in a secure place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page