Dixies pups update / 2 wks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Dixies pups update / 2 wks

Here's my original post:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...pups-here.html

So Sunday was 2 wks, it was also the day poor Dixie decided to get sick - she got an infected teat / milkbag and went to the vet w/ a 105+ fever Sunday night.

As of today, she is doing much better (chewed thru her IV cord lol) and I'll be picking her up today. The puppies have mostly preferred lapping milk replacement to bottle feeding. I am going to try to get an actual infant bottle / nipple tonight to try (For some that still seem to dislike lapping) and also try some goat milk to see if they like that more - but all & all they are doing well (wearing the food as well as drinking it).

for bfast & dinner they get soggy puppy chow mixed w/ milk replacer and they really seem to appreciate that!! (licking it off each other). Since the change in feeding you can REALLY tell which ones are the dominant ones - you know they stand in the MIDDLE of the food pan or climb over the other pups when there is plenty of room around the pan LOL.

Just a FYI. for those keeping up. Dixie will be on anti. for about a wk and a half & vet says they can nurse afterwards, but at this rate, i'm confident they'll be weaned - if not, i'll let them nurse. I'll put UTD pics up tonight after they eat / roll around in some dinner.

Thanks for keeping track! - any comments / ideas welcomed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

Poor Dixie. Hope she recovers quickly.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

Please be careful and let the puppies nurse from Dixie, keeping a close eye on her infected nipple. It is better for the puppies to be nursing from her and snuugled up next to her than anything else. While they can eat mush at this point, mother's milk is best and should continue until about five weeks of age for them to have proper development.

I have had bitches with mastitits and Cesarean section incisions. The puppies nursed and the mothers did fine. Just keep a close eye on Dixie's temperature and let the puppies have their regular milk meals from her while you supplement with mush/gruel.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGSD View Post
Please be careful and let the puppies nurse from Dixie, keeping a close eye on her infected nipple. It is better for the puppies to be nursing from her and snuugled up next to her than anything else. While they can eat mush at this point, mother's milk is best and should continue until about five weeks of age for them to have proper development.

I have had bitches with mastitits and Cesarean section incisions. The puppies nursed and the mothers did fine. Just keep a close eye on Dixie's temperature and let the puppies have their regular milk meals from her while you supplement with mush/gruel.
Thanks for the input. I cannot allow the pups to nurse as one of her meds is a pain med. she will be finished w/ her meds in 5 days & at that time we will encourage her to nurse again. She is very anxious being separated from them but gets to finish off their food, clean them up & spend time w/ them when we are able to make sure they won't nurse. (mostly she is only separated at night when we can't watch).

I actually look fwd to her meds being done, so I can get a lil more sleep LOL their appetites have kicked up in the last 24 hrs. I got up at 4 to feed them & at 5 3 more woke up to eat again.

The vet said they are ahead of the game (which makes me wonder if I could have been off due date wise ). all eyes are open. They seem to already be noticing sounds. they are crawling fwd, standing & going to the restroom on their own (w/out me having to wipe them first). and several (2 girls / 1 boy) are cleaning themselves (which was VERY surprising to me). Also when they go to the bathroom, they are making it a point to separate it from where they are sleeping.

Some of those things, i thought we still had a few wks before they'd grasp. Of course, we are still treating them as if they are not developing ahead of the game, but I was just surprised.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Poor Dixie. Hope she recovers quickly.

Thanks! Her spirits are much better. After checking on the pups the first thing she did was run outside & found Sara (her counter part) and "frollic'd" with her lol. she then ate & went back to her pups. but she is already back to acting like her normal self again.

I'm going to use these 5-6 days to try and pack on some pounds while she isn't nursing. She will only eat canned wet puppy food, for some reason she prefers the adult dry food, and scraps. so we are loading her up every day when her bowl empties w/ tons of protein & nutrients.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Elite Member

If she does not nurse for five days, she may lose her supply. When I have had bitches with Cesarean sections and pain medication, the puppies still nursed. No problems with my two litters that had this scenario.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-30-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGSD View Post
If she does not nurse for five days, she may lose her supply. When I have had bitches with Cesarean sections and pain medication, the puppies still nursed. No problems with my two litters that had this scenario.
Thanks. I am concerned w/ her drying up as well. I try to milk her a couple times a day. I did call the vet to ask if it was possible to take her off the pain meds then give it a day & restart nursing & she said we could try it but we'd also have to remove one of the other medications - I don't feel comfortable removing her off 2 of her 3 medications, so in this scenerio i feel more comfortable waiting the full timeframe. I do agree mothers milk is best - but the puppies are doing very well w/ the substitute milk / puppy chow mash. (of course if they weren't this would be a completely different response).

All of them have their top row of teeth in (or popping thru) and some are starting to be playful w/ other litter mates.

I will say this, now that they are ressigned to eating mush - i long for the 6 wk mark when i can bathe them, a moist rag just isn't doing the trick LOL.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 PM

Glad she is doing better

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Update:

pups were 4 wks old yesterday. Dixie did dry up a little due to the meds & going a wk w/out feeding but she lets the pups nurse when they want (nails, teeth & all )... the pups are still on "grewls" (mixture of puppy chow, milk replacer & water) plus they nurse whenever they feel like it. (usually about 3 at a time).

They are VERY active now LOL, getting them in/out of anywhere they dont want to be is "fun" b/c they all try to escape at once - this morning after letting them out to potty (I have enclosed my back patio so they can do thier business, eat & play when it's nice) my husband (who broke his foot this wkend) went out to the car for a second & i then heard, "no...no...uh, no... no... " lol, he was standing at the back door, one crutch, trying to "shew" the pups out of the door jam while he tried to close the door & bless his heart - just wasn't doing an effective job w/ only one foot LOL!)

Here are some recent pics:
Hans
Meeko
*Hans & Meeko are going to the same home
Xander
Duke
Roxie
Lightening & FiFi are the two remaining girls but I don't have individual pics of them, as the owners haven't decided and I havent created albums for them online. Will upload some as soon as they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page