Dixies Pups are here! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Dixies Pups are here!

the puppies are coming...the puppies are coming...! Dixie was 8.5 wks & that's how i felt fri & sat nights. Her temp was dropping bit by bit & she was more willing to chill in her whelping box. saturday night i was up every hr checking on her & sunday night i opted to sleep on the couch just outside of her whelping area. at 3:30 sunday morning, i woke up to a grunt (what we would come to know as the only indication she was about to have a pup) & found dixie (on her bed - not in her box) w/ a pup half out & the sac already busted. . . she was a lil anxious - moving around trying to stand & sit back down but she got it out & about 3 pushes & went right to business being a mom! after the pup was clean i got her in her box & at 3:40 pup 2 was born (breech - but still in the sac); she managed to get this one out in just 2 pushes. it was about an hr before contractions started back & the 3rd was born & the first girl was born at about 6:15. the next boy @ 6:45, another girl @ 7:30 & the last pup at 10:45 - by the time pup 6 came out, Dixie was getting tired & was able to push out the pup - still attached to the placenta - but not the placenta itself. although we'd been in contact w/ the vet thru this all - we couldn't reach her at this point & tried to get Dixie to stand, & move around to get the placenta out - but all she wanted to do was chew the cord. . . the pup - out of the sac, was calm as a cucumber thru it all, she actually latched on to a nipple while Dixie was standing & started bfast. eventually Dixie won out & chewed the cord & the placenta was passed at about 3pm; after pup 7 - which was also an "interesting" situation - we thought there might be 8 pups, but after the 6th & 7th we were glad there wasn't b/c she was obiously wearing out. the it took almost 3 hrs until the last pup was here & we were discussing a c-section, or something to induce contrations - but dixie was not straining, just heavy panting so we were going to wait til 4 hrs had passed. . . i stepped into the kitchen for about 5 mins & came back to a very "docile" Dixie, a hind leg sticking out (out of the sac) and a pool of green on the bedding... it took about 10 minutes (it seemed) to get this one out & we had to actually stimulate contractions to do so. we were not hopeful this one would make it out alive, but once out it coughed up some fluid, i sucked out a lil more (w/ the bulb) and she was eager to find a nipple. We ended up w/ 4 boys & 3 girls, all who seem healthy to boot! i wasn't able to weigh them (i assumed my digital scale would do so, but they are too light to register it) but visually i can't even see a runt! they are all perfect & cuddly. Can't wait to watch them grow & i'll be sad to see them go to their forever homes !

I don't know who to upload pics yet - but i'll do so as soon as i find the post telling me how
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:07 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ures-site.html

and make sure you https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...0-x-600-a.html and https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-pictures.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

I hope they all turn out healthy and go to fantastic forever homes Can't wait to see pictures!

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Pics - i know they need to be resized...

Here we go:
Basket o' Pups anyone?

Momma & pups:

*i'm going to make a collage of the pups & post it - give me a sec
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

individual shots

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM

Precious little furballs! Congratulations. I even spotted a little white toe! My daughter calls those "sugar toes". Lol.

cunninghamgermanshepherds.com
My Pack:
Zwillingen's River of Rin Tin Tin, Rin Tin Tin's Amelia Von Cunningham, and Sargent Luca Von Cunningham.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pandora's Eywa Von Cunningham was just born on 4/7/14!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys! yes, one of those sugar toed ones got woken up a second ago & instantly rolled over & started sucking on his own foot LOL, super cute - he's found a real food source NOW lol.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM

Cuteness overload!!! Gosh I love puppies! Hope everyone is/stays healthy!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes giving some carnation condensed milk, or vanilla ice cream can help a bitch continue when she is tired out, will start the contractions going again.

But in the end, it sounds like a good delivery. She has a big job to do, so give her plenty of delectable nourishment. I usually give either yogurt or cottage cheese, meat, eggs, and some kibble with every meal, at least for the first week or so. Then I might back off a little on the extras if the pups are all gaining wait and doing good.

If she has eaten all the placentas, expect some serious black yuck poo outside. She may not be hungry right away, but if she does seem to go off food, take her temperature and make sure she isn't running a fever.

It sounds like she is a good mother, and everything is going good.

I would send someone for a kitchen scale. Walmart sells them cheap. Weighing the puppies twice daily will tell you if any are in trouble and if the bitch is doing ok. I use different color rick-rack to tell them apart, and check them so that they are not too tight or too loose every time I weigh them.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

thanks, selzer.
She got a tablespoon of full fat vanilla ice cream after each pup (i don't recall where i read that or the amt but she definately enjoyed it). she did eat all the placentas (most pups she barely let hit the ground before she was handling business - i was planning on doing the cord myself since i'd seen so many / heard about how excited they could get while chewing the cord - but she did great). . . I've incorporated any meat scraps we have into her diet. she wasn't very hungry at all up until about yesterday afternoon - i just chalked it up to her not wanting to leave the pups. and she was having #2 bathroom issues (but i completely understood that, as i've had a kid myself LOL - i remembered being TERRIFIED of that part ... okay TMI, but that's how she seemed, shed squat several times... re adjust & after about 3 attempts, whine LOL) but she's finally gotten that handled & it's definately dark & goooey! lol

i'll have the hubs grab a kitchen scale tonight. i found one, but it's measurments are broken up to largely to get an accurate reading. I also stood on the scale & got my weight - then weighed w/ ea pup in hand & all seem to be over a # as of about 36hrs - but we all know how reliable digital scales are LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page