Should we allow female GSD to have one litter? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Should we allow female GSD to have one litter?

Hi all!! First time on forum . I am a mother to 3 extremely intelligent, beautiful, amazing, loyal and loving daughters...one just happens to walk on all fours, NEVER has a bad hair day and best of all she has yet to demand a cell phone or steal my makeup!!
Emma Bear is 5 yrs old, black and silver and very healthy. Today I am asking for advice as my husband and I are considering allowing her to have one litter, keep one of her puppies and allow our breeder to find homes for the remaining family members.
Questions I have before we even approach our breeder are 1) is Emma too old at 5yrs (just had bday 4/26). 2) We would allow our breeder to choose the male, meet him, etc - does the males personality have any impact on the pups temperament? 3) obviously, we are not breeders, so we would not take on anything at home - planning the birth at/and with the breeder???...(we have a very special relationship with them) is what I personally have mind. Check ups like a woman would have, like I had LOL, and being there at the time Emma delivered and leaving her in capable hands until I was EDUCATED enough to care for all.
We have land, space and areas to care for the additions if homes are not found, etc. We have planned this out. I do not want to become a breeder - want I do want is to carry a piece of Emma on, a legacy of sorts. However, if age is a factor we will not risk it.
Lots of love to other GSDaughters & Sons <3
Jen

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I think it's wonderful that you obviously love your dog so much. It appears you have done an amazing job with her and want what's best for her.

When it comes to breeding, there should be a lot of thought that goes in to it. Not just is she too old and do we have time. Since your girl will be bringing life into the world at your behest, it is super important that you make sure she is healthy before any breeding. Please understand that not all whelpings go easily. A Csection may be needed. Which is full anesthesia and all associated risks, including death of your wonderful dog. Is it worth her life?

But more than that, if she has a litter of 8 pups, it's your responsibility to the potential owners of those new pups, that they have the genetics to be a healthy dog for a long time.

To ensure this, both your girl and the potential sire should be cleared by the OFA or PennHIP as free from hip dysplasia and elbow dysplasia. They should also both be free of Degenerative Myelopathy. All of which could make one their puppies have a devastatingly painful life.

Temperament is also very important, the GSD is first and foremost a working dog, so to preserve the integrity of the breed, both parents should have at least some kind of working title. I understand that you are probably breeding for pets only. But those titles show that the dogs have stable temperaments and clear heads. And THAT'S what you want to pass on to new owners.

You are going to get some VERY strong opinions on this subject, and many will not be "friendly". As a board full of die hard GSD enthusiasts, there are lots of strong opinions on breeding dogs that don't conform to standard in health, temperament and drive.

I wish you luck, I don't recommend you breed her. Honestly.

If you love her and her lines, and have a good relationship with her breeder, then maybe just consider getting a puppy from the same lines.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

If you have a special relationship with her breeder (if they are reputable breeders) I would be asking them these questions... But no she is not to old, Yes the fathers temperament has a role in what the pups temperament will be like... I would be having the mothers hips and elbows xrayed and cleared for HD and ED and the father the same... Too many people breed their female so "they can have a legacy live on" as you put it...

If your breeder is game (if they are responsible reputable breeders) and you speak to them about health testing ect and they think she would be a good Dam then it is up to you if you want to breed her, but I would speak to them about it they would know more about this dog (again if they are good breeders and not BYB) than any of us here and would know her stock and what male to breed her with ect.

best of luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the information you provided!! It was very helpful!!! Fear comes along with this decision and so it isn't something we would just jump into at all, we have actually been going back and forth for 3 years now. Obviously, time is what has pushed it to the for front. Originally, the breeder was the person who commented on Emma's blood line, temperament, etc. after several years of us taking her back for bordering during vacations and such, and wanting to mate her with another one of their GSD's. At that time I was way to protective, scared and anxious to consider it. If death is a huge possibility than I already know we will NOT move forward. Emma has a furry companion, a female mini pug...they are soul sisters, LOL (parents dog).
Thanks again!!!

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 PM
Crowned Member

No, you should not breed her. GSDs (and any breed, really) should only be bred by people who know what they are doing, and have an expert, in-depth understanding of bloodlines, pedigrees, and how they combine. GSDs suffer from a lot of genetic problems, some of which are invisible to the eye, and only by doing a lot of testing and knowing what the bloodlines tend to produce would you find them. It is NOT a fun thing for an amateur to try and delve into. With so many GSDs in shelters, rescues, on the streets, and worse, we don't need to breed more of them just for the sake of it.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Freestep, I certainly value your opinion.
In no way, shape or form was I or I am planning on becoming a "breeder", doing it for the "sake of it", doing anything on my own, or any of the other items you mentioned without a vet or our breeder if we even decided to mate or GSD with another suitable, well documented and researched GSD. I would never abandon our pups or any animal at all and I do not condone this type of behavior in any person.
Maybe, you are venting, possibly because of frustration due to others ignorantly doing something they are not educated in and/ or a different topic? Or possibly, interpretation of emotion in your message was miss-understood. Please note though, aggression is never a good approach, no matter how passionate you are about a cause, issue etc. - what happens is you deflect ones attention off the real issue, guards come up and all that is present is hostility, where as truly you just wanted me to see that breeding really isn't a good thing at all, it's dangerous.
Regardless, thank you for your response.

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmsdc View Post
... I do not want to become a breeder...
Why are you asking if you should breed your dog or not then? You don't want to become a breeder so then don't breed your dog. If you breed her you will become a breeder.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Crowned Member

Can you post your dog's pedigree?

Have you x-rayed and had the OFA grade her hips and elbows yet?
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

1) I am considering Emma to have one and only one litter with and at her breeder, the one we purchased her from, in that environment and with their care
2) I will not take any money for the puppies, all funds will go to that breeder and business
3) I will not/do not plan to obtain a license or papers to become a breeder, ever. I have a career.
4) No financial gain or desire

So, I am not a breeder. That is not the question - How to become a breeder. There were 3 questions, see original post
Thank you.

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:27 AM
Crowned Member

I understand that you want that you want another dog as special as your female , a version of her , her progeny. Unfortunately that is not what you may get . Nobody knows the pedigree , nor the sire that your females breeder would select . The pedigree might be so random that there is little chance of getting more or less the same.
Agreed -- temperament is extremely important but
to this " But those titles show that the dogs have stable temperaments and clear heads. And THAT'S what you want to pass on to new owners."

not entirely --- how many dogs on this forum do come from backgrounds with titles and they are fearful, unapproachable etc etc . I know I know, better than nothing -- but not a guarantee by a long shot .

Carmen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page