Crate placement and info please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Crate placement and info please

Our Orphan puppies were born April 20th.

Is there a better place for us to put our 2 girl orphan pups and there crate? We had them in the living-room next to the couches. But it seams that now that they are getting older. They went from eating and sleeping every 3 hrs to almost every hour. I dont know if that is from us watching tv and having traffic through the living room or if it is just them getting older.

Tonight was there first night drinking there milk from a plate. But as hyper as they will be when drinking it from the plate. They seam to stop and act like they want the bottle. But when given the bottle. The big bossy(alpha) girl seams to want to chew. Or they will wiggle the nipple around in there mouth. Being with there mother for only 2 days. Should we focus on making the place there new source of food? Its like a messy obstacle to keep the nipple in there mouth since we started the place. They are only 3 weeks and 4 days old.

3.jpg3K93Md3Hd5Gc5J85Mbd3j64795aa58b6916e3.jpg22.jpg33.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3K93Md3Hd5Gc5J85Mbd3j64795aa58b6916e3.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	69690   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	69698   Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	69706   Click image for larger version

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	69714  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

I guessed right. This forum is for hi class pure breed snobs. Thanks for all the help! Not.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:49 AM

Hey there. Not everyone will respond to a post. Sometimes posts gets pushed all the way to the bottom where no one sees it. No need for the harsh words. I would suggest to take the bottle away and feed them in a bowl/plate. I've read that at that age they can start w/solid food mixed with water to soften it up. Try to schedule their meal times and leave it out for 5-10 minutes. If they don't eat, clean up the food and try again at their next meal time. This will teach them to eat when food is there. Mine didn't really eat eat until maybe 3-4 days. I crate trained her since the first day I got her which was at 8 weeks. She also slept a lot through pretty much everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Hey Fastaes

Ok I know with crate training, if possible I would put one in your bedroom. Dogs like to sleep near their "people", and that way you can hear them in the middle of the night without having to venture through the house.

With the food, I would think you could start mixing some dry food with water. The reason they may be getting up more is the milk isn't keeping them full. I would wonder if the bigger puppies chewing on the bottle isn't a teething idea and it feels good on her little gums.

Hopefully someone with more puppy experience will answer. They are very cute! Good luck with them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 AM
Knighted Member

..And don't you forget it!

I get so sick of this attitude. If we don't have an answer to your question, we're automatically all 'snobs'.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Festaes, I bet only a handful of folks on this forum have raised puppies this young and can actually answer your questions. I have rarely seen "purebred snobs" here...plenty of folks with mutts, GSDs mixes, etc.

The thread probably just got missed. We don't all read every thread and it was posted at 12am (at least based on US EDT) so it is easy to miss.

In the future, if a thread does not get a response, simply reply to it with

*bump* in the reply area to see if you get a response. You can also send a PM to some of the folks who had helpful advice in previous threads to get their take on it.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Festaes the reason we have a is exactly for situations like yours.

And most of us are NOT breeders and wouldn't have specific information to help you from personal experience. BTW, there are tons of people here with mixed breeds and that's wonderful...

Here's some sites that may help

http://leerburg.com/pdf/bottlefeedingpuppies.pdf

German Shepherd Puppies Care and Feeding

A Guide to Rearing Orphaned Puppies - Week One | Suite101

HAND REARING DOC

Breeding from your dog - Hand rearing puppies | Pets4Homes

Home-Handrearing Puppies

Bottle Feeding Orphan Puppies

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page