Unexperienced and need advice :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Unexperienced and need advice :)

Hi I'm new to the forum so I'm giving it a go.
I have a 4yo gsd called Brandy who we put to a beautiful male. It will be 63 days from mating on the 21st of this month and I'm starting to worry. This is our first litter, and although I've been around litters my whole life, I am inexperienced. My main concern is that I don't want brandy to suffer any more than she will. So could you please offer some advice on preparation for whelping and during and after. I just want the best for her and not 100% sure what that will be. Thanks in advance

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Have you been to the vet for an exam? You will need to do this and schedule an ultrasound to know how many puppies you're expecting about a week before welp. Then keep the evets number handy and be prepared to take her in at a moments notice for an emergency c section if anything goes wrong or she will die.

**** REMOVED by ADMIN ****

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm

Last edited by Castlemaid; 05-08-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Accusatory and judgmental.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Elite Member

Do you have a reproductive vet you are working with? Or a vet at all? What have you done for prenatal care? You said you've been around litters your whole life, who was the breeder? Can they help?

I am going to be honest with you. People on here aren't going to approve much of your situation. Hopefully some breeders will chime in for the sake of the bitch and the puppies. I don't know much about breeding myself, I know you should be watching progesterone levels, watch carefully when labor begins (if it goes on too long without puppies she needs to be taken in immediately), and there is a plethora of other things to watch and pay attention to. What have you already done to prepare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 04:39 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Whether people approve or not is not the question, and the OP didn't come here looking for approval but for HELP. No need to post if all you want to do is condenm and judge, thank you!

ADMIN

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

Nothing that was removed was judging... I asked a simple question, didnt I?

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Nothing that was removed was judging... I asked a simple question, didnt I?
I saw your unedited post. It was unnecessary and the tone could easily have been read as judgmental. I have made the same mistake here in the forums. Just accept that you said something that could have been taken as offensive, apologize, and move on...or just move on and let the OP have their thread back.

To rachieroo: I'm sorry but I have never bred a dog, so I can't offer good advice beyond speaking to your vet and doing lots of research!

I hope all goes well and your dog delivers a healthy litter and remains so herself.

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Crowned Member

I would make sure that a good 24/7 vet is handy, in case of emergency and do you have a whelping box prepared?

Also could you find a breeder in the area to help give advice or even possibly help? I'm sure you could get some information in this section of the forum but having someone physically there would be more beneficial to walk you though.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:03 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

I would have a puppy count X-ray done, so you can have an idea of how many puppies you are expecting.

Give mom a room where she feels safe. Find a good whelping box. Have lots if towels ready.

Once in labour it may take a few hours for the first pup to be born, once she starts whelping it may be between 5 minutes and an hour between each puppy. Any more than 2 hours between pups and I would call a veterinarian.

Mom should stop eating before labour begins and her temperature will drop a few degrees as well. So start a chart now of her temps, so you know when she drops.

Most healthy females of our breed do not have issues whelping naturally. I would however recommend you do not let her eat the placenta. Can give severe diahrrea.

Make sure the area is very calm, don't have lots if people over to help. But if you have a friend that is experienced that could work. Know that many females will become VERY protective of their young, so be careful. Even the most loving pet will bite to protect her puppies.

Good luck!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

You have a little time. Though don't be certain of the date. It is 63 days from ovulation, not necessarily the date of the mating. Since you did not do progesterone testing to determine the ovulation date, you need to have all things ready by a week prior to the 21st.

That's best anyway as it will limit the stress.

My advice is to get a book on whelping a litter. Maybe two. You can get them from Amazon.com -- your regular bookstore really does not carry much on whelping.

The book will tell you the signs that you need to look for, signs that whelping is imminent, and signs if there are complications. Yes, you can come on here to ask questions, but at 2AM when your bitch decides it is time, going back and forth to the computer and finding an experience whelper available, might not be realistic.

The book will help you prepare -- read it prior, and then keep it on hand to refer to.

You need to keep stress to a minimum. If you have other dogs, your bitch needs a place where she is not going to be bothered by other resident dogs.

Some things you should have on hand:

Cheap digital thermometer.

A bottle of isoprople alcohol

Sharp scissors

Something to identify puppies -- I use different colored rick rack -- much better than yarn.

A heat lamp

Lots of newspapers

Towels or wash rags -- I buy the 14 or 18 packs of cheapies from WalMart, and use 3 or 4 to clean each puppy.

Some dental floss to tie off the umbilical cord if you have to cut it. If the bitch bites it, you will not need to tie it off.

A kitchen scale to weigh puppies.

A notebook to record weights twice a day

You will want a child's plastic wading pool or to build or buy a whelping box. I got a wood one on e-bay for 99$ that is functional, and has a pig rail.

Get the book, read it through twice, then come back and ask lots of questions.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Knighted Member

I dont know anything about whelping, but wanted to suggest if you have time look at some youtube videos of the process and some of how to help position puppies if she having a hard time delivering them. My friends dog had puppies (this was years ago so im sure more info is available now) and she got alot of info off the internet including how to take care of puppies if the mothers instincts dont kick in right away and how to help new puppies breathe, etc. best of luck and let us know how things go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page