Single puppy coming - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Single puppy coming

Our Miss Molly returned to the breeder to be bred for one litter as part of original our agreement with them.
She was too nervous to pair with the stud so the breeder artificially inseminated her (twice, on two different days) to keep her from being traumatized.

She is due (63 days) on April 4th, this Thursday.

We had her x-rayed Saturday and found out she only has one puppy (at least that's all that can be seen on the x-ray).

She was going to return to the breeder to have her litter and remain there for 7 weeks or so.

Now the plans have changed and we and the breeder both decided it would be best if she stayed here at our home to have her puppy.

Has anyone had a dog that experienced having just one puppy in a litter, if that's still what it's called?

We have never whelped a dog before so we are looking online and in this forum for advice. I have created several places around the house that may be attractive to Miss Molly, in closets and under a blanket covered table. She will probably surprise us and have it on our bed or something.

I have had cats that had kittens before, but we've never had a dog that gave birth.

Diane and I are considering keeping the pup if it is a male. We have two females now and don't really want a third. That may or may not cost us anything since the agreement was, if the breeder whelped the puppies then we would get nothing but if we whelped and raised them, we would have second pick of the litter. Not sure how that will work out now but at any rate, they will get the pup if it is a female.
They have some very disappointed prospective GSD buyers now too.

More importantly, is there anything special we need to know or prepare for this weeks coming event?
Will the puppy likely be under-socialized? I've thought about going to the local SPCA and see if they have any new-borns that need a surrogate mother. I had a cat once that nursed and raised her own and another's litter all at the same time, about 10-11 kittens as I recall.
Will the mom be as attentive as she would with a group of pups? We figure at least there won't be a runt.

Whatever wisdom you all may have, share it with us please. I think we need it more than we even know. Thanks.

Here's her x-ray from Saturday.

Gee whiz, she was just a baby herself, she's only two.

Sheba 1980s
Essie Gold Ret 1980s
Shadow 1993-2005
Kazar 1999-2010
Maybelline Feral 2005-
Miss Molly 2011-2014
Zazzle 2014
Bigboy 2005-2016
Whiskey 2016-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

I would choose the location. An area where there are no drafts but near enough to an outside door so that she is not dripping on carpets when she has to go out to potty.

I would figure out a way to keep her in there, but not isolated -- using an x-pen is a good idea. You can screw some eyelits into the wall and clip the x-pen to the wall so that she has a good sized area.

Next you want some type of box or wading pool so that the pups will be insulated from the floor, and a place you an put newspapers, etc. For GSDs 4'x4' is a good size, but you can maybe get away with smaller since it is a singleton. plastic wading pools are cheap and easy to clean, but do not give you a pig rail. Pig rails can be very important, epecially in in an inexperienced bitch.

You have had x-rays done, so your vet understands you predicament. Be ready to have a c-section. You do not want a c-section, but you may need one. That pup is large -- your vet could have measured it from the x-ray. But the litter is small and it may not cause her to go all the way into labor.

Arwen had a singleton years ago, we did a c-section and the pup was lost the next day.

Babs had a singleton. I was up with her all night. Finally I could reach in there and touch the pup's head. I could not get it out on my own, so I was there when the vet opened up. I held her head while the vet and tech got the pup out. He was a big boy, and he lived with no problems. In fact, he had 10 nozzles and used them all. Jabba the Hutt. BIG PUPPY. Babs was just seven when she had him.

Your bitch is young, so she may have an easier time or a more difficult time as she is not experienced. Your breeder is going to help you prepare? Can you call her if you run into snags.

You really need to read up on whelping and raising a litter, because singletons ofter are associated with uterine inertia. And raising them can have their own problems. For example a bitch may be so buy cleaning just the one puppy that she doesn't let it eat, a singleton has more trouble keeping warm as it does not have litter mates to huddle with. They will not learn the same things from the litter, so you have to pick up the slack there. If you do need a c-section, the bitch may have a very difficult time understanding that this critter is her pup, so you have to be very careful with her for the first couple of days, or at least until she totally has accepted it, and the only way to know if she has is by experience, which you do not have with her.

I have never had kittens, so I do not know how that compares.

But there is an awful lot of fluid in a bitch. I would let her eat the placenta if she whelps naturally. It will release a hormone that will help her to contract and clean her out a bit, and it will help with the milk. But she may drip bloody yuck for a week or six.

I would start taking the temperature twice a day now, and record it. If she goes down below 99 degrees, and then comes back up beyond 101 without any puppy, consult your vet.

I would keep Carnation condensed milk on hand and give her some if she has been in labor for a while. White ice cream is good for her too.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Crowned Member

You would think the breeder would go ahead and take her for the whelping, given all those possible complications.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Crowned Member

There seems to be some gas in there. But it sure looks like more than one skull. The skeleton is so clear though that I would really expect to see a second spine if there was another pup in there.

There are complications, and possible complications. I think that the bitch would probably be better off in the environment she is most familiar and with the people she is most familiar with. I would think that, but it is hard to be sure because being with an experienced breeder might be easier on her. I just don't know.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
Has anyone had a dog that experienced having just one puppy in a litter, if that's still what it's called?

My female just had a single pup last thursday. First time I've had a singleton ( that's what they're called)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 days old.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	54153  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

From personal experience, with a singleton puppy, the bitch may or may not actually go in to labor on her own. There may not be enough hormone secreted to start her labor. Be ready for a C-section (also personal experience). Take her temperature every day FIRST thing in the morning and record. You need to be looking for a drop to about 98 or 99 degrees Farenheit. If you don't see the drop and she is approaching her due date, get in contact with your vet to discuss a C-section.

When my females have had just one puppy, I just did more with the one puppy to socialize it and expose it to as much as I could early on. No problems with the puppies and no owners reporting any problems.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

Any update?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Miss Molly had her baby this afternoon but sadly it was stillborn.

Sheba 1980s
Essie Gold Ret 1980s
Shadow 1993-2005
Kazar 1999-2010
Maybelline Feral 2005-
Miss Molly 2011-2014
Zazzle 2014
Bigboy 2005-2016
Whiskey 2016-
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry, it is always hard to lose them.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry That really sucks

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page