Another whelping experience, Odie - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Another whelping experience, Odie

Ok, so a little over a year ago, maybe a year and a half, Odie had come into labor early and lost the litter. Well, when she came into heat this time, I went ahead and did the progesterone test which stated that she ovulated on January 7 or 8. My vet does not have a lab that can check this, so they have to send it out. Anyhow, figuring 24 days in January, 28, in february, she should have been due to whelp on the 11 or 12th of this month. She was as big as a house.

I was afraid to set the whelping box up too early, didn't want to give her ideas. So I set it up on Saturday. On Saturday and Sunday and Monday morning, she was not too interested, just did a bit of paper crashing, but her heart wasn't in it. She was very happy and lively and no problems.

Did I mention the toothache that woke me up on Thursday. And the closest they could get me in was Monday. So I threatened to shoot the tooth out of my mouth, and they called me in a couple of prescriptions. Anyhow, on Monday at noon I let them pull that molar out. Yay! The dentist didn't hurt me at the time.

Well, I got back home, after putting in dog food, another heat lamp, going to the bank, and stopping at my parents at 4 PM. Odie looked great. The novicane and gas had worked itself away, and I was not thinking as nice thoughts about the dentist. I changed into my easy-to-sleep-or-lounge in clothes thinking it might be a long night, I would take a nap.

At 4:11pm, I heard heavy panting and crashing around in the whelping box, GREAT!

I was glad that I did ALL the work that morning prior to going the dentist. And went out there with my books and coke and phone (for the time), turned on the heat lamp and started my vigil.

Did I mention calling the vet on Saturday to let them know that things were getting close and finding out the only surgeon would be out of town until Tuesday? Lovely. No point even calling into them. I figured I would go to North Ridgeville if I must, but that is 2.5 hours away, and I really, REALLY wanted to avoid that.

No fluid. Lots of frantic nesting, and pushing, no fluid.

I took her temp. 100.3. Ok, she is coming back up. She had gone down to 98.6 at one point. And this really wasn't unexpected. I did some puzzles, I encouraged her to push. I read some. I got my whelping books out again. She is panting and pushing. No fluid.

I got a can of milk and gave her that, she lapped it up. Good. More contractions. No fluid. I stuck my finger where fingers ought not go. She was yet small. Hmmm.

Ok. I walked her around. STILL no fluid.

Uhg. 6:00 came and went. I know you are supposed to wait two hours after hard labor. But other books say to not let her strain for two hours. Well, it wasn't continuous. I hung on until 9:00 mostly hoping she would proceed. But at that point, I figured I was out of my league.

I threw my clothes back on, and hefted her into the SUV, and called my dad on the way into town to do a mapquest. It was raining and dark, and I was taking IBs and Vicadins for my jaw. The dentist actually called me and asked me how I was doing, and told me to stagger the Ibs and vicadins. Well, uhg!

At Dad's I took three IBs and put them in my pocket, and the map quest, and drove to N. Ridgeville. I got there at 12:30AM, with Odie on and off crashing in the crate in the back. But no whelping smell. So I had just kept going.

I got her in there, and explained her history, and vital statistics. They took her temperature which did not change, they did a vaginal exam, and said she was not totally dilated. They said they could do a progesterone test, or an x-ray, or a c-section, or I might want to try and free-whelp her.

The progesterone test seemed like doubling the info. She was definitely ready this time. I felt sure, by both the number of days from when she was bred, and the date of ovulation. I opted for the x-ray as it would tell us if there was anyone in the canal -- or getting close, and it would give us a number.

4, there were four. Their heart beats were good too -- while they were doing an x-ray, the did an ultrasound. The vet who seemed to hesitate at first with her, seemed to really like her after taking her for the x-ray. Odie is such a little lady. But they were no where near the canal. There was a whelping assistant there or master whelper is a better description, and the vet, otherwise it was deserted. There was a dog on siezure watch, but otherwise it was really quiet. The master-whelper said that she looked to be in first-stage labor.

I had to make the decision to try and free whelp either at home or there, or go with a c-section now. I decided to wait there. I spent the night on the floor enouraging her to push at times, and at times sleeping with her, on the floor of a veterinary exam room. Yay. I can think of better places to spend the night. One hard half bench and the floor -- I cought a couple of winks on both.

I had taken those three IBs at 12:30 before making any decisions, and by 4AM, I was looking for a drug-vending machine. No such luck. I would just have to tough it out.

4, became 5 became 6 became 7. It seemed like every time I finally conked out for a few minutes, they came to suggest we let her go outside to potty, or to do another ultrasound. At seven the heart beats were still strong and fast.

I decided to wait until the regular shift came on to do the c-section. I had no doubt that that is what they would suggest. Perhaps it was foolish not to do it in the middle of the night. It just did not seem like there was enough people there to do it. And there was that pouch thing I wanted to ask the repro-vet about that.

Anyhow, he came in at 8:30 and I looked a mess, and wasn't thinking that great either, but he took her temperature -- hadn't changed, and he said we should go ahead and do the c-section. He looked at the x-ray and measured the one puppy. It was his opinion that she was in a form of inertia, and she would not free-whelp and at this point we needed to be concerned with the placentas separating.

I said go.

Around 9:30 the puppies were born via c-section. It did not take much to get them fluid free and incubating. It took Odie a little longer to be sewn up and sufficiently awake to let her nurse the puppies.

Finally, I could take care of the bill, and have them help me get them out to my car.

I kept falling asleep on the way home. It was terribly dangerous, but I could see no way around it. The hot salt mixture bag would not stay warm long enough for me to nap on the side of the road. And the puppies would have to eat when I got them home. It was awful. I was drifting into other people, and kept jamming myself awake. I would take another sip of pop and pray not to fall asleep again. Even the ache in my jaw was welcome.

I finally got back into town. I left the car running and went in, and put Heidi out, and Bear in, and let Babsy out, and cleaned the papers out of the box and replaced them. I put Babsy in a crate and then brought Odie and the puppies in.

I got them used to each other again. Then went over to the other side of the room and took care of Jenna and Company. Then, I crashed for a couple of hours. Odie has been doing really well with the puppies. I weighed them all. I have to watch that closely to make sure they eat enough and it gives them enough nourishment. When I got up, I fed her a can of dog food and some yogurt, which she scarfed down. I also gave both of us some pain meds.

I guess she will just need c-sections. I don't know why. I asked if there was anything wrong with her uterine horns and he said no. But he said that it was a good thing we went in when we did, the placentas were separating.

We are not out of the woods, but they look good. Mom and pups are doing well.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

And where are the pictures?

Gosh, what an ordeal. Tooth pain is the worst. I wish you a pain free rest of the night and some well deserved sleep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Last edited by Sunflowers; 03-12-2013 at 09:58 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

totally wore me out just reading, lolol...add it to the "required reading" threads for any novices out there wanting to breed their bitch(s). hope mom and pups continue to do well and that you get some rest.

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ah well, I like to let a bitch settle in a little before hitting her with the camera -- actually it was the last thing on my mind even though the lady having a c-section with her poodle at the same time was clicking away. Poodle puppies are TINY!

If I was Odie, and she were me, and she snapped a picture of me, when I was laying there with my tongue hanging out and blood everywhere, I would have bitten her, LOL

I will take my jump drive home and get some photos.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieliz View Post
totally wore me out just reading, lolol...add it to the "required reading" threads for any novices out there wanting to breed their bitch(s). hope mom and pups continue to do well and that you get some rest.
My knee is wrenched -- did that a few weeks ago. And getting in and out of the Honda has been so bad, I have been driving the SUV. I tell you the truth, getting up off the hard vet floor with that knee was murder too.

They want you to know everything before you ever breed a litter, but if you wait too long, you will be too old to jump out the window to save a pup that got itself in a jam, to spend half the day dragging kennel panels into your whelping room to set up a puppy-play area, and to spend the night on a very-hard half-bench or on the concrete floor with your bitch, or to drive in the rain at night 2.5 hours, stay up all night, and then drive 2.5 hours without falling asleep and killing everyone with your giant car that is easier on your wrenched knee.

Not that I am complaining or anything, but I think last night was probably the first time that I thought a husband-thing might actually come in handy.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

You are always so good at describing the scene... wow... sorry you and Odie had to go through that (again) but happy everyone is doing okay.

Hopefully you are caught up on your sleep a bit now.. sorry about your tooth.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It was nice to hear the vet tell the other vet that she (Odie) was really nice.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM

Another whelping experience, Odie

So glad your babies are safe & mama is on the mend!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Crowned Member

So after this experience(and the previous), would you consider breeding her again? I wouldn't put a bitch through more C's no matter what the product turned out to be. Though I know with smaller breeds it is the norm. Not worth it if I were a breeder.
I can't imagine the stress involved and your dental issues on top of it....hope you can get some much deserved rest! Look forward to puppy breath pics!

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Was there no way someone else could have driven? Your father?!?. There is no way on earth I would ever drive after vicodin and, then to drive sleepless! I realize the puppies were important but that human life you might have taken by driving impaired could never be replaced.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page