First Heat Cycles - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

First Heat Cycles

I have a young female that has not yet had her first heat cycle. She will be a year old next month. I don't plan to breed her until she is 2 but her littermate had her first heat cycle at 6 months so I am worried. I have read that sometimes they don't come into their first heat until they are 18 months or two years old. I have never had one wait that long. What has been your experience?

cunninghamgermanshepherds.com
My Pack:
Zwillingen's River of Rin Tin Tin, Rin Tin Tin's Amelia Von Cunningham, and Sargent Luca Von Cunningham.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pandora's Eywa Von Cunningham was just born on 4/7/14!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Knighted Member

I don't breed, nor am I highly experienced. But, I wanted to add that we are having the same issue. My female, Storm, is almost 10 months... but no heat. She shows signs every once in a while... and then everything just.... stops. Haven't seen a drop of blood yet, her female parts are 100% normal..... This is my first experience with a later heat cycle with a normal healthy dog. It's frustrating though because it keeps threatening to come, and then nothing! Ugh.

Anyways, good luck with your girl. Hopefully someone has experience with this and will reply. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Tricky Shepherd. It is frustrating. I appreciate you chiming in. Just knowing someone else is having this issue makes me feel better. I've never had one wait this long. Good luck with your girl too and let me know if/when she finally comes in. I hope others' will share their experience.

My Pack:
Zwillingen's River of Rin Tin Tin, Rin Tin Tin's Amelia Von Cunningham, and Sargent Luca Von Cunningham.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

Bitches cycle when they are ready. I've had ones that came in every 6 months like clockwork and others that were no where NEAR regular.

My Crested bitch comes in every 9 months. Her daughters had their first around 11 months of age and are just now having their second (18 months).

I know several breeds that only cycle once a year and don't have their first until they are almost 2 yrs old.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Lauri and the Gang. I had read that it varies, but I had no idea how much it could vary. I guess it is not just a breed thing either, but an individual thing....since my two girls who are litter mates are having such a hugely different experience. Thank you for your insight.

My Pack:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
First Heat Cycles

Fiona is 9 months old and has not had her first heat. One of her litter mates is in heat, but 2 others are not. The trainer says that some don't have their first for a year. It has something to do with how close to the equator and how much sunlight. Not sure I get it. But at least we are not alone.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Elite Member

Kessy had her first heat at 15+ months - I think Djenga was 12-13 months. Kira was 10 months, my first GSD was at 9 months, my female JRT was 10-11 months old.

I wouldn't worry...when it happens, it happens

Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT

PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD

Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all. I appreciate knowing that it is very common. :-)

My Pack:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page