Noise subjection for young pups - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Noise subjection for young pups

I know it is good to subject puppies to a variety of sounds when they are young. I've subjected them to a few different noises but I need more ideas.

Is there some type of soundtrack/playlist any of you know of that I can use? Or ideas would be helpful and i'll find it myself.

So far they don't seem fearful of noise but i"d like to continue and improve on it.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 06:47 AM

There are CD's available from gundogsupply.com, and others that may be helpful...I have toyed with the idea of mixing my own one of these days...I'm thinking various urban and rural sounds that are likely encountered.

I've posted previously about how I do gunfire, if that's helpful to you, search some of my previous posts.

Interests:
Police K9/Explosive Detection/IPO/Ring
Working GSD/Malinois

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Elite Member

This is a great thread. Rocco gets really scared of certain noises. He'll even scream and cry while running away. It worries me. Is this an indication of some sort of fear disorder or something?

Angela_______________________________
Danny (husband) ~ Samantha (daughter) ~
Rocco (GSD)
Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelina03 View Post
This is a great thread. Rocco gets really scared of certain noises. He'll even scream and cry while running away. It worries me. Is this an indication of some sort of fear disorder or something?
Personally I'm not that experienced with behavior so take this as an opinion: But I think it may have to do with a bad experience to whatever it is that scares him.

Is Rocco a puppy? Have you tried subjecting him to those noises (starting with low volume and going higher based on progress) and taking away the fear factor by turning it into something more positive?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:18 PM
Elite Member

The TV is good. I refuse to let them watch too much Animal Planet, though!

I'll go find this link about how videos/TV can actually do relevant socialization for puppies between 3 and 5 weeks.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Knighted Member

I heard that the one thing puppies/dogs don't like hearing is the sound of babies crying.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

I'm a big fan of leaving the TV/radio on for puppies. It really does help them get used to all kinds of sounds, and I think it helps prevent separation anxiety. Depending on what channel you leave on, they can hear anything from gunshots and thunder, to other animal sounds, to soothing voices or music.

When Vinca was little, the TV was left on for her all night long, or whenever we were gone. She's not bothered by any kind of noise!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

Here's the research article I was looking for: Elsevier

Quote:
Restricted experience in early life is known to contribute to long-lasting predispositions to fear and anxiety in mammals. It is commonplace for young domestic dogs not to experience many features of the environment in which they will spend their adult lives until after 8 weeks of age: simulations of that environment presented before 8 weeks might therefore reduce subsequent fear and anxiety. A series of experiments tested whether fearful and exploratory behaviour up to 8 weeks of age is reduced by exposure to audiovisual playback between 3 and 5 weeks of age. First, it was demonstrated that puppies between 3 and 5 weeks of age do respond to video images. Second, the reactions of puppies, exposed to audiovisual playbacks for 30min per day for 14 days between 3 and 5 weeks old, to test objects in both familiar and unfamiliar environments, were compared with those of control, unexposed puppies; the unexposed puppies visited most of the objects significantly more frequently than did the exposed puppies. Third, another sample of puppies given the same treatments was tested at 7–8 weeks of age; the unexposed puppies were significantly more fearful than the exposed, and also tended to visit the objects more frequently. Audiovisual simulations therefore appear to be worthy of further investigation as a way of enhancing coping strategies in dogs.

Christine

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

Our pups have a radio on next to the whelp box from the day they are born.

Carolina Johnson

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM

FWIW, I was recently loaned a CD that has all kinds of sounds for training horses, gun shots, sirens, crowd noises, metal gates, fireworks, four wheelers, trucks...its pretty good, is sold by spookless.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page