Rhetorical question... white GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Rhetorical question... white GSD

Let's say you have a litter and much to everyone's surprise, out pops a WHITE pup! As the litter grows, you notice this white pup is outstanding. Great conformation, great temperament, fearless, confident, focused, great drive. THE pick of the litter in every aspect except color. Curious, you keep said white pup until he is about, say, 5 or 6 months to see how he grows out. He only gets better and better.

The question is, would you place this pup as a companion on a non-breeding contract, or would you consider selling him to a reputable breeder of whites, to help expand their gene pool and improve their breeding program?

What if the pup in question was a liver or blue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

If a blue or liver it would be sold on limited registration with a non breeding contract into an appropriate and responsible home.

I would probably do the same with a white.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
If a blue or liver it would be sold on limited registration with a non breeding contract into an appropriate and responsible home.

I would probably do the same with a white.
I would too...unless the pup would make a better companion.

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Master Member

I would probably give it to a working home. I don't know much about schutzhund or other sports, but from what i understand whites are faults only in shows and breed surveys? Am I wrong here??
If the white/blue/liver dog can work then it should work. Maybe if a white breeder is titling his dogs I would consider selling this particular dog to that breeder.
Then again I am not a breeder, so maybe if i was my answer would be different.

Nadine

Tamtam - Egyptian Mau

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(9-9-2011)
Juventus - GSD (RIP)

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

I thought this was a rhetorical question.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:01 PM

Depends on the genotype to spay or neuter. Since the dog in question seems to be the exception rather than the rule, I would probably alter it. Maybe keep for fun, maybe sell for work/pet, maybe star in the picture shows..
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I am not a breeder, but I can imagine I'd be really torn about what to do with the white pup. If blue or liver, I imagine I'd alter and place in a companion/working home. But now that whites are becoming their own breed, and there are reputable breeders working with whites, trying to improve upon their working ability and so on... would there be an ethical problem placing the pup with such a breeder?

And just for the sake of argument, let's say rhetorical white pup has an outstanding pedigree, from V-rated working lines, good hips, etc, and himself prelims with good hips and elbows, tests negative for all the bad stuff, and has excellent conformation as well as excellent temperament and drive. It is that once in a lifetime pup that would be destined to excel and rise to the top of everything, were he not white.

Last edited by Freestep; 12-27-2011 at 02:00 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Knighted Member

I think you mean hypothetical

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Right, hypothetical question!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

A blue or liver would be sold on a spay/neuter contract to whatever home was most suitable for it's temperament. There are no reputable breeders of those colors.

I would intend to do the same if a white cropped up. But if approached by a serious, reputable WGSD breeder who titles (performance, not just conformation), health tests, has a solid, well thought out and focused breeding program and is well respected amongst the WGSD community, I would be willing to consider selling the pup as a breeding prospect to that person if the pup really was that exceptional and so was the breeder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page