What do reputable breeders do with a ill or bad temperament pup? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What do reputable breeders do with a ill or bad temperament pup?

I was wondering this? Every reputable breeder will say that all there pups are healthy and have a excellent temperament. I am sure out of so many litters there must be a few pups that are ill or fearful.... What do the breeders do with these pup? Do they sell them at a reduced price, keep them....

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014

Last edited by Miss Molly May; 12-22-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to SamanthaBrynn
One breeder I contacted said she would use them for a working dog or sell them at a reduced price...kinda makes me sad.

Samantha

Callie (GSD) Born May 24, 2011

Casper (Mix) 7 years
My goal is to someday be the person my dogs think I am.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know how they could use a dog with poor nerves as a "working" dog.

I think responsible breeders may grow them out a bit to see if their initial assessment is correct and then either place them after training the pup some, or humanely put it down if it cannot be placed safely in society.
Other breeders will just sell the pup/no big deal, because unsuspecting buyers may not even recognize a pup with unstable nerve.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Crowned Member

how in the world "
One breeder I contacted said she would use them for a working dog or sell them at a reduced price...kinda makes me sad."
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe they mean a working dog like this:

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Crowned Member

I kept Whitney. She seemed fearful when I had people over. It was a mistake, I think she had shots the day before and was just a little off by herself. And the day of the childrens' home was the day of her shots -- she stayed in the crate while the other puppies played with the people.

But I decided I wouldn't trust her upbringing to anyone and kept her. She was fine. I got her CGC then titled her amongst thousands of dogs and people in the chaos of the IX center Christmas Classic. She never did do well with vaccines though, and died two weeks after being vaccinated -- probably not related, but who knows.

Breeders cannot keep all the dogs with temperaments they think are questionable. But they shouldn't go to inexperienced owners, and experienced owners are looking for good temperament too.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Maybe they mean a working dog like this:
Hey do you think I could power my house with one of those, or two?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Crowned Member

you read my mind -- I think that is called a Victorian wheel used as a turnspit to rotate the roast in the flames .
My pro sled dog racer friend made a huge one , maybe 7 feet high . All his huskies take turns in it -- love it . The pups voluntarily go on and will run for hours like a hamster in a wheel.
So we need a couple of wheels , some belts, a generator to store the energy and some bad-boy dogs to run.
lol
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Knighted Member

OP that is a very good question. I am glad that Selzer responded and am very pleased with the way she handled the situation when she suspected one of her pups had weak nerves. I would like to hear from more breeders to see what they do when the situation arises.

*US Army Mom*

post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Elite Member

This is a good question, I have wondered this myself...

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page