Perfect stock, but has fair hips or hips dyplaysia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Perfect stock, but has fair hips or hips dyplaysia

I have a question. I read that just because a dog has undesirable genetic traits, doesn't mean they won't be able to contribute to the breed. You can have a nice dog with fair hips.

My question is, let's say you have a stud dog. He is perfect in conformation and temperament and everything you are looking for your breeding program. The bad news? He has fair hips. Do you breed him or do you neuter him and send him to a pet home?

Let's up it to another notch. Let's take the same dog and give him hip dyplaysia. He has it, but is perfect. He is the best german shepherd or any other breed of dog you have EVER seen. We know you don't breed a dog with hip displaysia, but do you breed this dog? I'm thinking "NEVER" because of the hips, but I am wanting to know other thoughts on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Elite Member

Fair hip rating is still a normal hip. Some changes, but a normal hip. Yep, I would breed him without a problem.
HD? I would not breed one with HD, but that is just me. Some folks do and have no issues, some folks do and have lots of HD show up.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Master Member

Fair hips is not considered dysplastic. There are plenty of Fair and Fast Normal dogs out there that are superb otherwise. Cut them out of the gene pool and you have a problem. Of course you want to breed them to a dog with better hips, but Fair or Fast Normal is not that big a deal IMHO if everything else is there...

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Crowned Member

As a puppy buyer, would I buy from:

Perfect temperament w/ fair hips - Absolutely

Perfect temperament w/ HD - Not a chance
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

OFA Fair is certified free of dysplasia. Yes I would breed OFA Fair. Heidi is Fair, her four litter sisters are Good. Heidi is the one I like best conformation wise, and she has an awesome temperament. But, she is too small to breed naturally, and AI was not successful. I would so have loved to have pups out of her.

Would I do a test breeding on a dog with HD, and sell all the puppies on a limited registration? Well, what would be the point. Yes a dog with HD, can produce good hips. But, they can also produce bad hips. And if you aren't breeding for the future, to keep and breed progeny, well, it is best to just love the dog, work with her, take her to trials. But there are enough dogs in the gene pool to leave out dogs with HD from your breeding program, even if she is the sweetest, nicest, prettiest thing you have ever participated in creating. That is when breeders shed tears, when the pup fails the two year old test, after being exemplary in all other ways.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

What Wyomingrandma said!!! Some can breed w/HD and no problems, and others can breed w/HD and have disasters. TO ME and only my opinion, I think hips have to always be considered in the context of both dogs that are being bred as opposed to just the one.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:57 AM

I am not an expert by any means of any sort, but I know when I was looking into pedigrees the hip ratings always caught my eye. I noticed quite a few breeders breeding dogs with fair hips and it puzzled me. I was kind of offended by it and thought, "Why are they doing that?". At first I disagreed with it.

But then when I read more into it, some of those dogs even when bred with other dogs who didn't have an excellent rating, still produced pups with good or even excellent OFA ratings. I've come to the conclusion that if you trust your breeder and they are knowledgable, they should be able to make that decision properly and for the benefit to the offspring they produce. Just my .02 cents, even though I'm a newbie. (:

It is sad that maturity sometimes leads us not into a greater depth of experience and more intense enjoyment of our world but rather to an apathetic belief that we've already been there and done that. - Suzanne Clothier
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
As a puppy buyer, would I buy from:

Perfect temperament w/ fair hips - Absolutely

Perfect temperament w/ HD - Not a chance
I second that.

I'd also like to see the dog with fair hips being bred, preferably to a bitch with excellent hips, but good would be fine.

Wouldn't touch a puppy from an HD parent with a 20 foot pole, even if the other parent had excellent hips.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post
I am not an expert by any means of any sort, but I know when I was looking into pedigrees the hip ratings always caught my eye. I noticed quite a few breeders breeding dogs with fair hips and it puzzled me. I was kind of offended by it and thought, "Why are they doing that?". At first I disagreed with it.

But then when I read more into it, some of those dogs even when bred with other dogs who didn't have an excellent rating, still produced pups with good or even excellent OFA ratings. I've come to the conclusion that if you trust your breeder and they are knowledgable, they should be able to make that decision properly and for the benefit to the offspring they produce. Just my .02 cents, even though I'm a newbie. (:
Vicky, if you haven't already, and appears by your statements you have not, go to OFA website. I think you'll find it enlightening.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyominggrandma View Post
Fair hip rating is still a normal hip. Some changes, but a normal hip. Yep, I would breed him without a problem.
HD? I would not breed one with HD, but that is just me. Some folks do and have no issues, some folks do and have lots of HD show up.
A comment on your comment. "Changes" indicate dysplasia, a "Fair" rating is dysplasia Free and therefore with No Changes. Just to make it clear for those who believe "fair" should not be used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page