Do you think a Volhard puppy temperament test is accurate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Do you think a Volhard puppy temperament test is accurate?

I was just wondering if you think this test is accurate? For Molly it was very accurate the majority of her scores where 3's Our breeder tests every litter
Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Can't wait to meet you again!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly May View Post
I was just wondering if you think this test is accurate? For Molly it was very accurate the majority of her scores where 3's Our breeder tests every litter
Volhard Puppy Aptitude Test

The reason I am asking this is because next June we are planning to get a second pup and I was wondering if this test is a good way to choose the puppy? If so I will be looking for a pup with a similar score as Molly

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Elite Member

You should let your breeder choose the puppy for you. They have been with the litter since birth and have seen everything-from who was fastest to the teat to who was the most rambunctious. They will make an informed decision for you.

Which breeder have you decided on? They must be so cute!

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD

Scruffy "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.-Thomas Campbell"

Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenzisMom View Post
You should let your breeder choose the puppy for you. They have been with the litter since birth and have seen everything-from who was fastest to the teat to who was the most rambunctious. They will make an informed decision for you.

Which breeder have you decided on? They must be so cute!
We are going with the breeder Molly came from! She will be breeding Molly's sister this winter and are planning to get first pick (a male)
Winningways in Sault Ste Marie Ontario

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM
Crowned Member

It depends on who does the test and in what environment. I know some people who are breeding dogs to work don't use it. I have seen it used well in rescue with accurate information (had it done on 3 of my foster puppies that stayed and she was spot on).

The thing is that it needs to be done by someone who has never met the pups, and in a place the puppies have never been before, and so that they are separated from mom and siblings. If the breeder does it, it's basically just another of their observations and I would not consider it another tool, just part of that.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

I think it is a good tool to test pups, but the assessment should just be a part of the breeders placement process.
And I agree with Jean, it should be done in an environment the pups haven't been in/ test should be done by someone other than the breeder.
Karlo's breeder uses it as part of her puppy placement process, and so far placements/matching of pups is about as close to perfect as you could get!
I gave a friend a link to the test when he went to see a litter @ 7 weeks old. He did the testing himself to choose his pup(breeder let him pick from a few different males) I think it helped him, he was going to use the test from Leerburgs site, but the Volhard was a bit more informational.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We do not use the Volhard test. Personally I do not like it. It leaves out some important aspects of evaluation, some parts can be unnecessarily traumatic to pups (there are other less harsh ways to evaluate those traits) and frankly some of it is prone to misinterpreting results and thus potentially leading to vastly inaccurate evaluations of temperament. One of the most glaring is that many behaviors it labels as "dominant" are not necessarily so, but are even more likely to be something else entirely, including nerve issues.

It isn't horrible for a general all breed test, primarily for pets, but it isn't great either and the areas that can mislabel some things as being very different from what they are is concerning. It is pretty much useless for working/sport dogs. IMO there are much better tests out there, and most breeders I know have their own.

We do puppy testing, but as a part of the evaluation process, not a major determinant. We don't use a "boxed" test, but rather one we've developed over the years based on other puppy tests out there and primarily on the experience of many other breeders, and our own experience.

I'm familiar with this breeder and frankly would put a whole lot more stock in her general observations and recommendations than on any formal testing, particularly the Volhard test.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

this is the link I sent to my friend...
Volhard Dog Training and Nutrition: Behavior and Training: Behavior

Sorry for the above saying Karlo's breeder followed it, I thought that is what was used as a guide by for partial assessments.

Jane~
Kept by

Always in my heart

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Agree with Chris. I have my own test that I do that I stole from a friend that she learned from another person. It is designed primarily for the testing of working prospects, but works well for other areas too.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Chris and Lisa , for the reasons that they gave. Won't be having that here. I don't need that test when I have intensive contact and multiple opportunities for novel experiences starting from 4-5 week age to the 9 or so weeks old when the dog is rehomed. Testing by observation is continual and much more complex . Back in the day earnest people would come and want to "test" the dog , turn him , pin him , etc. I don't think so.

I agree it gives little information for training potential , and for working / sport dog application.

Let the breeder choose .

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

Last edited by carmspack; 08-28-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page