dog running while in heat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
1up

dog running while in heat

my 3 yr old dog is in heat. i was wondering if it was ok to still let her run around the park?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Crowned Member

i wouldnt recommend it. thats asking for any intact males in the area to come and get her. When she's in heat its best to keep her confined at home and under complete and total supervision. males have been known to do ANYTHING to get to a female in heat. My pup is proof of that. Her dad chewed through a wall and a couch to get to her mom. I saw the couch. It wasnt pretty. you have to have a better safe than sorry attitude about it.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Elite Member

Letting a female in heat out loose in public is a disaster waiting to happen. Not only could she be bred, but in a public park environment, her status could also spark fights. Keep her at home please and keep her under your supervision when she is outside.

Shannon

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Elite Member

A GSD broke into our house when I was a kid and mated with our miniature Schnauzer when she was in heat. She was "promised" to another MS...it was ugly. No, my parents did not let her have the pups from that encounter. Happily, she went on to have a litter of MS pups a year later.

Definitely keep your dog under supervision and do not underestimate the ability of a male to get to her. I had forgotten about that incident until just now. I think as kids, we were a little freaked out by the whole "in heat" thing to begin with.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Crowned Member

Dog in Heat for Dummies? ( 1 2 3)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
1up

im well aware of the dogs trying to mate. but what im asking is health wise, like will she be losing blood faster than usual while running?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Elite Member

Does it matter? I think the advice to keep her secluded from other dogs is probably more of a concern. If you are running with her for exercise (like logging miles), that wasn't clear. I'm sure one of the folks who breeds their dogs regularly can answer that. Try posting in the breeder section.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Some females while in heat can because rather loose (one of the reasons why they don't recommend doing OFA's while a female is in heat) and you could cause undue stress on her joints during this time. I am talking about running with you where the dog must come with you not just running around for fun where the dog has the option to stop if it feels the need. No, it won't make her bleed more or cause any damage in that way. As others have pointed out running with her in public is a good way to invite an unwanted breeding or stress to your dog and yourself trying to keep other dogs away.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Crowned Member

Also, it is illegal to have a female in heat unconfined in some states. I didn't know that until recently
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Master Member

You don't ever let an in-heat female dog run around off-leash in public.

That's inviting a disaster to happen. And you're probably going to get yourself into a fight if you bring her to a park. Most dog parks ban in-heat females, and with very good reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page