Dumbest of all dumb questions.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Red face Dumbest of all dumb questions....

Okay, here is my disclosure, I am NEVER going to own an in tact female, and never have before, so I'm a COMPLETE IDIOT to females....

We are planning a trip to my In-Laws in December. We always take our female lab with us. This time were going to be traveling with two dogs. Jazmine AND Killian.

Here is where my ignorance shows through. My In-Laws have two in-tact female labs. 1 isn't supposed to make it till Xmas, she is really old and really sick. So there will possibly only be just Molly, she is 6. I was wondering..... can she get pregnant if she is not in heat. Were debating on boarding Killian instead of taking him because if we can't even let them play without having to worry about, well, the big hump, then I don't want to risk it. We won't leave anything to chance.

I've heard that some males don't show interest in females at all unless they are in heat and that is the only time they can get pregnant, others say that boys will be boys and they can get pregnant even if they are not in heat. I'm kinda embarrassed to ask my breeder this question. LOL!

So, if she isn't in heat during our vacay, you think we could bring Killian with us to Washington and be able to relax and enjoy vacay without taking turns in kennels the entire month?

I REFUSE to let him have any access to create an "oops" litter. I will not contribute to the over-pet-population we currently have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

you should be just fine having them together as long as she's not in heat. I would ask your parents if they know her heat cycle schedule. If she'll be in heat or close to it at that time... well close to it having a male around thats not usually around could trigger an early cycle but i've only heard of it happening once with a family members dog. Hopefully a breeder can let me know if i'm wrong or not.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 PM

If she is not in heat then she will not let Killian mount her and she will not get pregnant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Knighted Member

Jax has many intact lady friends... None have called 9 month later
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Haha, thanks you guys! I asked hubby to ask his mom when her heat comes around but he keeps not asking. "Forgetting". So I'm gonna make the call, because we need to figure out where our money is going to go.....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Anybody else?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Master Member

Ha Ha...that's funny.
My girl is intact, I am expecting her first heat cycle within the next 4-8 weeks as she is 6 months on Friday. Our trips to the doggy park will have to be put on hold during that time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Knighted Member

Some males will mount females even when not in heat...it's a dominance thing though and there is no risk of impregnation. I would ask the parent's if there's a chance she will be in heat during your stay because if so boarding is best....males can be a loud noisy pain when they share a home with a female in heat mine sure is,lol
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

No, she cannot get pregnant if she is not in heat.

Jax's Mom, it would be two months later -- nine weeks to be exact, LOL!

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you SO much Selzer. Now we just have to arrange with his mom when Molly goes into heat. That way we can arrange what were going to do with Killian. I don't want a lab/shep mix pups on my hands, and if we have to shorten our vacay cause we can't take Killian, thats fine!

I feel silly not knowing that answer. Thank you everybody for answering! ;-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page