Who said being a Breeder was cheap or all benefits? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Cool Who said being a Breeder was cheap or all benefits?

Just this week alone...

$150 in dog food, and this will only last us for a week give or take
$450 in Interceptor pills for everyone (6 months supply)
$100 in puppy toys and chewies

So JUST THIS WEEK ALONE... $700!!!!!

When it is not one thing is the other, x-rays for someone (2 dogs this month.. $500), vet trip with a litter for health checks ($230 +/- depending on the number of puppies. AND this is giving them their shots ourselves), etc. etc.

So who wants to become a breeder??? Yeah, think about it twice before you do!

And that is crossing fingers that no emergency c-sessions are needed or any other complications arise during pregnancy. Here in MD, c-sessions cost about $3,000.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GSDBESTK9; 06-15-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:17 AM

I think I speak for a lot of the people on this forum but the best benefit of YOU being a breeder is FABULOUS PUPPY PICS!

That is about it for benefits. I admire what you do but I think you and some select others can handle it and I will just enjoy the pictures you provide

Candie
And my Girls.....
Dallas - ACD mix, 11 yrs
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

well, when you put it that way.

Thank you very much!

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM

No puppies for me. My parents' dogs had a couple oops litters when I was little and that was enough for me for life.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

Carolina......I share your world of financial doggie dues......it's even more "scary" when you put it in type....

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I know! It is crazy isn't it? If I add other supplies we've needed this month, food for the rest of the month and other stuff like gas for vet and or pet store trips, it is well over $1,000!

Carolina Johnson

Last edited by GSDBESTK9; 06-15-2011 at 11:38 AM.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

You might ask your vet about using ivomec for heartworm prevention for your dogs... It's about $40 for about 45 doses for GSDs.

I empathize on the dog food costs... it really seems like dog food prices have gone up significantly in the last few years. I think I spend about $400 a month on dog food.

Christine

post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:06 PM

Carolina -
My family (including Echo) is very grateful for what you and Dennis do. Thanks!!

Echo v. Johnson-Haus, DOB 02 March 2011 GSD
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Crowned Member

I do the ivermectin. But yes, here health certs are $20 each (with me doing shots) otherwise $35 each plus $40 to microchip, not including flea/tick meds, dewormers, extra food. More a labor of love. Oh and that doesn't even cover if you use frozen or have semen shipped then you're not only looking at shipping charges, then you get into progesterone testing and with frozen testing for lh surge every 2 days (with dog being boarded for a wk at vets office to make sure that when blood comes back ready she's there to breed). Last time I tried that with a female cost me almost 1k and still didn't get it as the frozen ended up not being viable.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
vat
Knighted Member

Kudos to you! I had an oops litter many many years ago, no thank you very much! I am glad that there are some of you out there that are doing this other wise there would be no GSD for us to love and enjoy

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page