Trip to Ocean - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Trip to Ocean

Since it was so hot lately, I decided to take my two knuckleheads(Chris-17 months and Mutz-17 weeks) to the ocean for some water testing. I also wanted to see recovery on puppy to water. Went to a pier over the water that is in about 5 to 6 feet of water. Once off the pier the dogs can swim right under the pier to land. I take a stick with both of them(first time for both dogs over their head in water) and throw the stick into the water. Both dogs jumped straight out into the water,(Of course Chris got the stick as Mutz always follows), and then realization of water being over their head kicks in they both start paddlin for the shore and do their shake. Now for the test part, I then went back up on pier and threw the stick again, and both dogs jumped in again and came back to shore. Was very interested in seeing how the younger one would handle the shock/stress of being over his head and more importantly how would he recover. Guess I'm pretty satisfied....lol. Sidenote, this is important to me because for the dogs to graduate the police dog academy in NJ, they have to go into the water up to a man's chest and apprehend a man. You'd be surprised how many dogs really have a problem with this, many dogs get to where their feet are no longer touching the ground and won't go any further. So I was really pleased with both but especially the young guy as I am still learnin his boundaries....pretty much know Chris's capabilities Wasn't sure if the puppy with his Czech background had the nerves to handle this....lol...psych!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:16 PM

No pics of the outing? My GSD, Merc, is our first to LOVE the water. It is so much fun.

Holly
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like they are keepers!

Good job to both of them. My problem with Stark (even as a tiny pup) was keeping him OUT of the water!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Crowned Member

Mutz is a brave puppy!

I think the ocean, near a pier would have some swells that most dogs would think twice about entering. Flat water is one thing, waves another. Not sure my dogs would jump right in for a stick...a frisbee probably.
To save or capture a man, I doubt it.
Unless it was our Schh helper, Karlo would charge right in, I think.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:41 PM

well Cliff you could always consider dock diving with them Sounds like they'd both fit right into it)

I take Masi, (now that the weather is warm!) down to the ocean, she loves those huge waves, I think she may need a surfboard..

We have a place on the river where their is a nice pier for her to do her dock diving thing, it is a hoot to see them take off and launch and come right back for more

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I agree that once they get hooked....they love it.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

I've noticed more dogs have an issue with a pool/clear water than waves/ocean. Nikon has never given the type of open water, the depth, or size of waves a second thought before flying in but had to "figure out" that a clear pool is the same thing before launching off the diving board. Then you see the lightbulb go off like, "oh duh, this is the same thing as Lake Michigan!"

Pan would not jump in a clear pool last weekend which was disappointing, haven't tried him in "regular" water (river, ocean, lake) yet though. Actually now that I think of it he went in the pond at work twice when he was about 10 weeks but after that everything froze over.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 07:55 AM

most of mine had no problem jumping in a clear pool, but I figure the ones who wouldn't, just like to jump in muddy water))

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Crowned Member

You know those DDR and Czech dogs are nervy Cliff..... nerves of steel

The first time I took my girl Pecora to my parents house, she walked over and looked at the swimming pool, backed up about 10 feet, and the took off running and DOVE into it. I laughed pretty hard until I was told to go fish her out to protect the pool liner.

Sound like your pup Mutz is a little go-getter.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Mary, yeah I think both dogs have good nerve for working dogs, but both are also very calm in all normal situations, never bark in crate without reason, don't try to break out of the crate or any other confinement they are in, very social in new situations, and not afraid to explore new things regardless of surface, noise, or smells. Kinda dogs that you put them somewhere and train them and they will have no problem learning it. I kinda like dogs like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page