Exactly when do I breed my dog? Which days? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Exactly when do I breed my dog? Which days?

I've read several different accounts of exactly which days to breed. The first one was after two weeks (14th day) the discharge should be straw colored and those next three days are the only times the female will be receptive. I waited the two weeks and though it had darkened it did not become straw colored. I went ahead and introduced her to the male, and have had them together for a period of time in all of days 15,16,17, and 18, but still no tie. (The discharge became brighter during this time) I'm working with another man's male GS so I can't leave them together longer than the time I'm standing there with them. I've given them up to a couple of hours at one sitting, but still nothing. Now after day 18 the discharge is minimal but it's darker. Now I just read that it's supposed to be days 11 ,13, and 15. Do I still have hope to get her breed this round? Exactly which days, and why is it not changing color? I guess those would be my questions. Any help from those who are experienced in this kind of thing would be appreciated! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Knighted Member

You're better off reading some books on the subject...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Elite Member

Every bitch is different. And every cycle can be different with that same bitch. You need to do some more research before you are ready to have a litter of puppies at your house. The female will 'flag' to the male when she is ready. My bitch is usually ready on days 12-16. This past heat, she was at day 28 before she was ready. I did progesterone testing to make sure she had ovulated and was ready to be bred. Her discharge has never changed according to what books and the internet say. Every dog is different. You need to do some more research. Find a reputable breeder in your area to mentor you. Doesnt have to be from the same breed. Things can go bad fast with pregnancies and whelping, nursing and raising puppies.

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

It's a secret.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Master Member

IDK I don't think unless it's a full moon, with an eclipse, with the proper planetary alignment in the sign of scorpio it'll work. Sorry.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 PM

There's way more to breeding a dog then just putting them together and counting the days! I would make an appointment with a local reproductive vet in your area to do necessary testing on this female as well as testing for sexually transmitted diseases before exposing her to a male, not to mention health clearances for genetic diseases etc... if this has not been done already.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 12:53 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know if its beneficial to ask a question like that on an open forum...half the people don't know the answer, and the other half will not answer but instead subject you to a morality and ethics discourse of your worthiness based on their personal opinion. I assume you are trying to get some factual knowledge...try your vet or a local breeder in your community.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 AM
Crowned Member

There is no "set" day to breed.
To omit guess work with timing of ovulation, you should have progesterone testing done on the female. I would also suggest having a vaginal culture done to check for any higher than normal levels of bacteria, that would/could cause infertility in either the male or female....and lessen the chance of conception.
Also....please have your female tested for Brucellosis......most breeders will not allow a female to be bred to their stud dog without a negative test result.
I have had females ready to be bred as early as 8 days in...and as late as 26 days....each female is different, and each cycle is different.
Good luck...

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Crowned Member

Nice post Robin, every once in a while my belief in humanity is revived!!lol
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

yeah, take that you byb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
and the other half will not answer but instead subject you to a morality and ethics discourse of your worthiness based on their personal opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page