I have to rant - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I have to rant

I am just so upset right now. I have to rant. I sold a puppy from my first litter to a collage age young man. This was on the recommendation of a friend. He works at a pet store where she was working as a dog trainer. Fast forward a year. I find out on Facebook that the dog is not living with him. Not quite sure what the situation was, I sent him a message. It clearly states in my contract that if you can no longer keep the animal they come back to me.

He said that he had moved back in with his dad and stepmom but he wasnt really there much. The stepmom raises puppies for guiding eyes, and she was having difficulties figuring him out. She has never had a GSD before, let alone a working line that wasnt trained. I offered her some advise with situations she was asking about. Havent heard from them in a year.

I now find out his dad wants the dog out and they are looking for a rescue. I probably should have calmed down before I sent them the message I did on FB. I am so totally upset with them right now I could spit nails. We went over this a year ago about Link coming back to me. I bet his AKC papers are still in my name. I will have to go check. URGHHH

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Just another reason I know 'I will not breed, I will not breed, I will not breed'....

No matter how great a breeder is and responsible they try to be with their puppies, this shows how it can STILL be out of their hands when a pup of their suddenly ends up in a shelter/rescue!

Hopefully you can either work with the parents OR the rescue to get the dog back.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

Dawn - if they are WNY and have been contacting rescues let me know and I will see if we have any info from them that would help you.

ETA - yes - you do need to tread lightly, contract or no - Facebook is not the place to work things out. You may feel better for a minute, but where's the dog? (understand the desire to do so - but you learn not to)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Crowned Member

unfortunately there are things put in to writing that are private agreements that are not enforceable by law.
Experienced in this dept . By and large people are excellent , I have been so lucky with my owners , many of them being friends , with and without dogs for over 30 years . Every once in a while you get slimmed though.
Carmen
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The dog is still at the dad/step moms house. I talked with Cory already and he said if I want him I can have him back. So that is good. Now to find him a suitable home. He will be two next month and I can get OFA's done as well. Going to evaluate his temperament as well. Two of his siblings are doing Schutzhund and one doing drug/explosive detection. So I know he has it in him to work. Some people prefer to get older puppies/dogs rather than young puppies too.

Dawn Brogan

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Knighted Member

What I can't seem to understand is why a person would give the dog to a shelter when a responsible breeder is willing to take the puppy back usually no questions asked.

RIP Velcro 9years old (September 22, 2011)
Can't wait to meet you again!

Miss Molly May - born November 15th 2009
Mr. Max -born April11 2014
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

Lots of reasons - and people would do it with their rescues too - embarrassment, fear, things like that.

So I guess all is taken care of then - that's great!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Molly May View Post
What I can't seem to understand is why a person would give the dog to a shelter when a responsible breeder is willing to take the puppy back usually no questions asked.
Yeah, I agree with Jean. They probably know they screwed up and don't want the breeder to find out and think badly of them.

My heart goes out to all the breeders and rescuers that must place their faith in a person and send a dog home with them. It is such a gamble even when you think you know a person well.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, Link has been here since Saturday. Went in the morning to get him, stopped off at Deb Z's. They were training and the helper evaluated him. For only knowing us for two hours or so, he was fantastic. Matt agitated him to bite the rag. He went nuts for it, gripped it, wanted more. Never been worked before. Tonight I worked him for a few minutes. Taught him touch in about 10 mins. Working on manners. He has learned to down and wait before being told to come out of crate. He has to sit and wait at the door (instead of just running out it). He picks up new things fast. Still looking for the right placement for him. He certainly could do just about any job asked of him. He has such a goofy personality too.

Dawn Brogan

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnandjr View Post
I am just so upset right now. I have to rant. I sold a puppy from my first litter to a collage age young man. URGHHH
How old do you have to be to do a collage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page