Human manipulation??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Human manipulation???

I'd like to chat about this element. Hips, testicles, and ears are all things that owners/breeders can provide human intervention to decrease or eliminate the problem. My question is after this manipulation is done, should we consider these dogs breedworthy. Suppose the intervention wasn't done, (diet and weight with hips, taping the ears, tacking down the testicles), would people breed to these dogs??? What is the difference in what the same dog will produce if the intervention is or is not done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 PM
Master Member

The intervention if done soely for cosmetic purposes and the dog is not to be bred is fine IMO. No one wants to show a dog with one ear up and one ear down.

If a breeder or purchaser of a dog to be potentially used for breeding intervenes with the development of the dog such as the things listed above, then they are hiding the true fault of the dog.
There are things that can happen like an ear breaking in a fight, or sitting in a crate for too long etc. That would be fine to fix because its an external source that causes such.

But for a breeder to change the development of their dog to hide a fault their line passed down is just ridiculous in my opinion. Know what you breed and avoid it in the future.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Crowned Member

Is keeping a dog nice and lean and feeding them a healthy diet manipulating hips?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
Is keeping a dog nice and lean and feeding them a healthy diet manipulating hips?
No its responsible dog ownership

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheDawgies View Post
No its responsible dog ownership
I was thinking that too, but I always learn a lot from Cliff's posts and was hoping he would elaborate a bit more on why he included it with testicle tacking and ear taping? Is it possible to "fudge" a dog's hip scores through diet and exercise? Obviously we all want a dog who can stay orthopedically sound through weight fluctuations, pregnancy, etc.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I was thinking that too, but I always learn a lot from Cliff's posts and was hoping he would elaborate a bit more on why he included it with testicle tacking and ear taping? Is it possible to "fudge" a dog's hip scores through diet and exercise? Obviously we all want a dog who can stay orthopedically sound through weight fluctuations, pregnancy, etc.
it can be fudged slightly. A dog in very good condition with strong muscles will have better looking hips than the same dog would look with a non conditioned body. That is why when dogs are diagnosed with HD it is recommended to keep the dog not only light weight but exercise regularly. The muscles take up for the slack that the hips are not taking. Not to mention the muscles will push the hips into socket better giving a better overall image.

But you can only fudge it slightly. A dog with HD will be very obvious on x-rays to a professional. Theres no way you could go from "HD" to a "good" though.

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Master Member

I re read my above post and I wanted to correct what I wrote.

"No one wants to show a dog with one ear up and one ear down."

I actually meant to type
"No one wants to have a dog with one ear up and one ear down especially if its a pure bred."

If the dog is intended for show and is to be shown for show ratings or championships then IMO it is cheating to modify the dogs body other than a groom.

There was a (I believe it was)Pekinese that had to have surgery on its nasal passage to breath properly and won I believe Westminister. That to me is absolutely disgusting.

post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
If the dog is intended for show and is to be shown for show ratings or championships then IMO it is cheating to modify the dogs body other than a groom.
Then there sure are a lot of "cheaters" in the American show ring....

Many people do prophylactic ear taping. I don't agree with it, but people don't want to risk their "big star" having ears that don't stand.

For the record, the American girl that I own and show never had to have her ears taped. They were up when we got her at 12 weeks, and ever went down, even when teething (and she's got some big honkin' ears).

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog

Last edited by Xeph; 04-21-2011 at 02:48 PM.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
My question is after this manipulation is done, should we consider these dogs breedworthy....
....snip....
Suppose the intervention wasn't done, (diet and weight with hips, taping the ears, tacking down the testicles), would people breed to these dogs??? What is the difference in what the same dog will produce if the intervention is or is not done?
There would be no difference in what the dogs produced because they weren't genetically altered. The genes don't change because you hide or camouflage a fault. (So where are you going with this because you already knew the answer )

I'm not a breeder but whether or not the dog is breedworthy would depend on several factors. (I think?)
What was the fault to begin with and what are the odds of it showing up in future litters? How does it affect the dogs ability to work, it's temperament and it's health. Does the dog offer enough "good" in the mating to offset the original problem? There's a big difference between a soft ear and HD or cryptorchidism.

I'd say a cosmetic "change" like taping ears, although dishonest, (unless disclosed) isn't going to have the same impact on a line as hiding genetic problems that affect the health or temperament of the dogs. Altering a dog so it might win in the ring is just a hollow victory, but then again, conformation shouldn't be a stand alone source for determining breed worthiness. IMHO.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

good topic Cliff - more later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page