undecended testicles - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

undecended testicles

I just bought a Belgian for show, at 7 weeks, felt testicles, at 8 weeks vet felt them but said 1 was undecended. I got him at 9 weeks, both down. A friend also felt them, but they were hard to find, since then they have pulled back up and are hard to find. He is now 11 weeks, I am torn, he is exactly what I have been looking for, except for this. He has great temperment, and should excel at obedience and herding.

Now history, this is his sire's first litter, but his sire has 8 litters no problems. His mom had no issues with her brothers. BUT the dam of Timber, had an oops litter when she bred her dad, 2 males, both with only 1 testicle, both neutered. That is the only issue that sire had of 3 litters. I wasn;t worried at first as I don't breed, but do like to show.

Any comments would be appreciated, most in the hopefully things to try to bring them down?? Would he have pulled them up because he lives with an intact and fairly dominant male GS?? Could that be why they have gone back up?? How long could they play yoyo before I have to give up and accept they aren't coming back? Is there anything I can do to encourage them back or should I return him?? I already love him and have started quite a bit of work with him. HELP PlEASE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Crowned Member

I only know that they can go up and down until the ring closes.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

when does the ring close?? I haven't bred and have had some conflicting info from don't worry til 6 months to return NOW. i won't breed so don't care for that, but at what age does the ring close?? Can you tell when it closes?? Does the normal boy's go up and down?? or is this weird?? and hereditary issuess??

Thanks for the answer, but please add more info, I truly know none of this as I've not bred nor ever had this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

We called Kopper yo-yo ball. He had one that went up and down and up and down. Now at 17 weeks both have been down for a while. Hope that helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

Whenever I have had males, I never worried about the testicles and they always descended without problem. But my friend had a leonberger litter and the male went up and down for a while, and then it stayed up. they neutered him

I think it is pretty common for them to go up and down. I know that to provide a proper temperature for the sperm, they hang lower away from the body when it is warm, and they get up closer when it is cold, not sure where it is where you are, been having some cold weather? I wonder if you raised the temperature a little if that would help. I don't know. That really would suggest puppies obtained in the winter would have more of an issue, and I have never heard that.

The worst case scenario is not showing. Is this a deal breaker for you? Do you have something in the contract that says both testicles will decend? -- a must for a pup showed for show.

I have heard of a dog having a testicle drop at eleven months, but I would be tearing my hair out by then. Ya never know how many of those stories are true.

I think the ring closes at different times for different dogs. Kind of like waiting for the ears to go up, it is just one of those things you have to bite your nails over.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Crowned Member

Sometimes the more you look for them, the more the go up, so stop checking. Looking for them won't help.

Balto was totally cryptorchid. His never came down. Too bad because he's an awesome dog. Good for me because that's the only reason I got him. The breeders in Canada who were going to buy him didn't want him anymore.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

I have two friends with cryptorchid puppies: one with a dobe and one with a belgian. Both were supposed to be breed dogs, but not any more. Neither of them had both testicles at 8 weeks and they are both over 8 months of age and they are still one nut pups. Both of my friends were given the option of returning the pup for a replacement, but how do you return a pup once you are bonded?

I have never gotten a pup that didn't have both descended at 8 weeks and make a point of checking before I take the little guy home. Not that I am ever going to breed my dog, but because the neuter surgery is much more expensive, involved, and you have to have it done.

I have heard of the the testicles coming down as late as a year, but the truth is that the longer it's missing, the less chance of its showing up.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

It is still very early for them to stay down. If you bought (in your contract) a show quality puppy, then it will matter. What does the contract say about when they need to be down (stay down) by?

Dawn Brogan

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Crowned Member

Dante's (malinois) went up and down a little, but after 5 mo they were both down and stayed down (he's 9 months now). For the most part, they were down, but every now and then one would slip back up.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

thanks everyone, the problem is I did buy a show pup, but once they walk in the door, I love them adn they stay.. Hr has super temperment and being socialized with my 2GS mean he will be super stable, which he is already, we will do performance if that is all we can do, I just never thought of a problem. All males I've ever had had 2 but I didn't pay much attention either. So this yoyoing is concerning, sure hope they drop and stay down, at least I now know it is fairly common and he is young enough I needn't panic, just fall more in love with him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page