undecended testicles - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know, I have no problem with returning the pup right off as it has a show fault, and is not going to get better according to the vet, and the dog was purchased as a show dog.

But, there are so many things that might make a puppy not suitable for the show ring as it matures. I would think one buys any show dog with the understanding that they may not turn out, and have a plan for them if that is the case.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

Lots of info on the condition and some graphic pictures (in case you are squeamish)..

Cryptorchidism and Undescended Testicles - all you need to know.

The article says the trait is autosomal recessive in dogs. Is this known for sure? This would mean both parents carry the gene for the production of cryptorchidism if a male puppy has it. If it is the goal to remove the trait from the breed then neither should be bred again as they can pass the gene along, though sometines unexpressed due to recessive nature. If it is autosomal recessive, then it seems breeding a cryptorchid or possibly cryptorchid dog is perhaps not a good idea as the gene is definitely going to pass to offspring and would then proliferate this gene in the genetic pool.

I heard somewhere that there was rethinking on the genetics of cryptorchidism. I haven't come across any info as to that yet.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Seltzer, I so agree, hardest thing to return this pup, and I've never done it before, but there are so many things involved here, and at 12 weeks he will rehome perfectly. He learned lots in the 3 weeks I had him, enjoyed tremendous socializing and training. The testicles are a disqualifying fault. From the first I explained that was THE only fault I wouldn't deal with. If the bite goes bad later or an injury happens or development changes thing and a longer time has happened he would have stayed. This is my last pup that I plan to raise, after the demise of these 2 and the new pup I will only buy older dogs as I will be that much older and not interested in puppy stuff. So was very specific and spent over a year researching and planning. The breeder and I are still friends and she has actually pointed me toward another litter and highly recommended me to them. So we shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

I know, I understand you want a show puppy, and he is not at this point. And now is the best time to get him in a new home. I am sure the three weeks were probably a good thing too.

I hope there is a good pup in the litter you are looking at.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:58 AM

Has anyone heard of homepathic remedies for undecended testicles? there is a company called homeoanimal that sells a remedy. Wanted to see if anyone has heard of this company or any remedies like this. Thanks in advance all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page