undecended testicles - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Crowned Member

the one yo-yo ing can be "tacked down" until the inguinal ring is too small for it to pop up....no big deal...

someone I used to know had a litter that two were yo-yos....I felt both pups with 2, was at the vet when checked at 8 weeks, both had 2....one got tacked down, the other one (a coat) had two when sold...and a year and a half later the buyer called to complain he couldn't breed the dog (on limited papers!!!) because he had one testicle! I was there when he was sold (and tried and tried to talk the breeder out of this sale!!!!) and he had two, and the limited WAS in the contract and explained!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

Last edited by wolfstraum; 04-20-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 11:14 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Check for them with the puppy laying on his back. if you find both of them, try to work them toweard the sack. if you can get them in the sack, then hold on to them gently and turn the puppy over. Hold onto them for a short time then let the puppy go. I had a pup many years ago that the vet said I wouldnt get the testicle to drop, but I did!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

This is my problem with breeding only perfect dogs....Andaka and Wolfstraum, if both of you have been successful with manual manipulations to get the testicle down or get it to stay down....then my question is should this male be bred???? The manual manipulation is not going to be passed to the puppies....the genetic imprint of the dog will. So if we should not breed a dog with an undescended testicle, yet with our intervention the testicle either came down or remained down....is this a breedworthy male???Just curious as to how people see this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Crowned Member

If you have to put the ears up, should you breed them?

Would you pass up a dog with a super temperament because he has been known to throw the occasional cryptorchid pup, and breed to a passable dog who is not known for the issue?

I guess it goes on what you are breeding for. A show dog needs for them to have dropped.

If there were only two dogs on the planet, floppy ears or retained tesical will win out over so-so or passable temperament. But if there were only two dogs left on the planet, I had better breed to both.

Is there not enough dogs with credentials and testicles out there though? Should we breed a dog with a known genetic problem if there are dogs that can produce what we are hoping to accomplish without the problem? Some things are linked if it became impossible to find a dog that is exemplary in one area without some history of retained testicles, it would depend on the circumstances.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Crowned Member

Again Wolfstraum and Andaka,...smile....if the male intervention allows the dog to have them down at two years old, then the dog would have "credentials", but is the same dog that might not have credentials if the intervention wasn't taken??? How do you view this situation?....smile!!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
Check for them with the puppy laying on his back. if you find both of them, try to work them toweard the sack. if you can get them in the sack, then hold on to them gently and turn the puppy over. Hold onto them for a short time then let the puppy go. I had a pup many years ago that the vet said I wouldnt get the testicle to drop, but I did!
I bet this works better than blowing in their nose.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Sadly I did return the pup, the vet said the problem was the scrotum wasn't developed right, so there wasn't room for the testicles. He will now go to a performance home. I had really wanted a dog to show, I have 2 German Shepherds, the male not good enough for showing, the female, well I will spay her as I don't like heats, and so wanted one I could occasionally show as a special. And the Belgians can be shown easier by the owner, and so was getting a Terv male. i will find another with the high trainability and stable temperment.

As far as this being a genetic problem, which it is, I don't really care as no matter what mine will never be bred, I won't stud a dog, unless the breeder has a specific reason and she wants to use him, but only then. I will not do it, my dogs are my enjoyment and breeding is just not it for me. Thanks for all the answers, definitely a difficult decision, he was super smart and stable.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Crowned Member

I don't want people to think I am targeting Wolfstraum and Andaka, I have respect for them, but this is something I think that is part of understanding that exterior knowledge of the dog is not only not enough but sometimes misleading. Like breeding to an OFA excellent dog that was in a litter of three other dogs that were dysplastic. How many people make breeding decisions based solely on the certs and the appearance???? Then we wonder why things like hips and testicles continue to plague this breed in such high numbers. Just food for discussion.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Master Member

I am so sorry to hear that you had to return him. that has to be so hard. I wish you luck in your search for the one for you.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudy View Post
As far as this being a genetic problem, which it is, I don't really care
I would think you would care, because being that it can be genetic, perhaps the sire of your pup shouldn't have been bred if this was a known issue. Therefore you wouldn't have had to go through this whole experience and subsequently return the pup....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page