Need whelping advice :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Need whelping advice :)

This is my first thread, i am new here So i'll just get to the point.
My GSD is 2 years old. This is her first litter, she bred on the 19th and the 21st, with our other GSD.

Starting Friday she was changing her behavior a little bit, which I had expected because it was almost time. This morning she was following me around and showing all the tell tale signs of labor.
Following me, digging, nesting in her room ( her favorite room of the house is our bathroom, thankfully it is big!) She was moving all her blankets around and what not. She has been heavily breathing on and off for about 13 hrs, and occasionally whining. A little bit of discharge, clearish a little cloudy i guess you'd put it. Finally this morning around 10 her temp dropped to 98. She hasn't wanted much to come out of her bathroom all day, maybe came out a few times to potty and see my husband. She hasnt touched her food either, only if its something we are eating she begs
I have done ALOT of reading and talking to the vet and what not since she has pregnant, but I'd like to know if anyone else has any input for me. thanks guys!

BTW- i came across this site and cannot leave it. I love it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

I just saw this.

I hope this dog has started having those puppies at this point, if not, get her to the vet. They should not go more than four hours in hard labor without having the puppies.

After the temp drops below 99, they will generally whelp within 24 hours. Temp will generally come up before whelping. The heavy breathing, whining, discharge for thirteen hours sounds like she is in trouble.

Get to a vet and explain the entire timeline.

Good luck.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

no trouble, shes not whinning in pain just excited ( call me crazy but i know my dog) only a few drops of discharge. from everything Ive read she is NOT in hard labor.... and the temp drop just happened at 10am this morning if you read that part. I am wondering if it is normal for her temp to spike just a little before delivery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

i guess i overstated, im sorry she is "panting" alot
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

While I read that part, it says on my computer screen that you posted this at 12:20AM, which sounds like midnight and if the dog dropped at ten AM, then that would have been yesterday -- but I see now that my post says 12:28 am, so mostly this is from reading the time of the post which is off.

Still, I am not used to much discharge until right before whelping. But I suppose that can change from bitch to bitch.

Yes temperature does come back up. Usually we miss this. I mean at some point we no longer want to attack her with the thermometer.

I think that you are very close to having puppies. Watch carefully, have your vet lined up in case of issues, lots of papertowels, towels, newspapers. Careful about blankets as puppies can get into the folds and be crushed or smothered.

Anyhow, good luck, waiting for results.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

i just posted the thread 30 mins ago, i think her water just broke, idk. there is a puddle of clear stuff on her blanket, ???? she is licking herself
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackAttack View Post
i just posted the thread 30 mins ago, i think her water just broke, idk. there is a puddle of clear stuff on her blanket, ???? she is licking herself
That is the placental sac from the first pup. Hopefully she will deliver the first pup within about 90 minutes, usually delivery is within about 30 minutes. If she hasn't had the pup within 60 minutes, start making preparations to get to the vet--I had this happen with a female last summer and her first puppy was stuck. I lost 4 out of 9 puppies and she had an emergency c-section. I waited too long bc she was not having hard contractions despite her having broken the sac of that first pup.

Good luck! You should have a baby in hand shortly!

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks, ill keep updated if i have any questions , but im gonna go be with her now bc i think she is having contractions!
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

puppy number one was a beautiful sable girl ) 11:46pm.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Knighted Member

Congratulations!! And Good Luck!!

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page