What would you do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question What would you do?

I was just curious as to what other breeders would do in this situation.

We just got contacted by a puppy buyer who bought a puppy from our Evi 2 years ago as a PET (limited registration). Apparently he has been taking the dog to a training facility and the trainer/owner has owned and trained GSDs for many years, looks like they even do Schutzhund. Anyhow, they like the Evi son so much that they asked the guy if they can breed one of their females to the dog. Soooo the guy just contacted us asking if we would lift the limited registration.

Of course Dennis told him that in order for us to lift the limited registration he would need to do AT LEAST the following:

1. Have the dog OFA certified
2. Bring the dog to Dennis for an evaluation to see if the dog is worth breeding

I just have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I'm happy to hear the dog is doing so well and that this trainer thinks so highly of him but I think I would want to know more about the trainer and his/her dogs first.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

nice that your pup is so well thought of .

I would ask for your two conditions , with one additional one and that is that you have a look at the pedigree of the female that he may be bred to and you give your blessing . The pedigree match might be horrible and then the stud gets blamed.
If you want to excercise some control in future breeding opportunities, because I am sure it won't be limited to this one female, then perhaps you can have the dog signed back so that you are co - owner and your signature is required on any litter applications. In other words they can't do a breeding without your knowledge and consent??

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

Does the dog have any disqualifying faults that would make him a pet? (Bad bite, missing testicles, missing teeth, etc.) Did you sell the dog at a discount ("pet price") because it would never be bred?

If the dog was considered a pet bc of a physical fault, then I would not reverse it. But if it was just based on your evaluation at 8 weeks, then I don't know any reason to not reverse it based on that early eval (unless the dog was really weird at that age).

If you sold at a reduced price because the pup would never be bred, I think it's fair to ask for the buyer to pay the difference before you reverse the limited reg.

My own policy is that all my puppies are sold on limited registration that is reversible with hip certification and a "performance" title or certification.

I like to know that the puppy owner has put time and energy into working the dog enough to get a good idea of the dog's working qualities and suitability for breeding--but I don't require it to be a schutzhund title--it's so hard to do schutzhund in the US and there are many other useful tasks for dogs. I believe that a GSD (any dog) needs to be demonstrably useful and the owner needs to have some reason greater than "I like him" before breeding one of my pups.

Christine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

No disqualifying faults, just sold as Pet for less than the working/breeding prospects.

Carolina Johnson

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

I agree that the OFAs need to be done before anything else. Dennis to evaluate the dog and the pedigree of the female and before release, the buyer THEN to pay the difference between pet and working price - at the very minimum.......I also want titles of some (pre-agreed upon if not schutzhund!) - so it would have to be something special for me to let the papers go full...NEVER EVER would without OFA/a stamps tho!!!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Knighted Member

I'm sorry if my question detracts from the thread, but I'm just curious.

When I got Gunner, as a pet only, I signed a contract that required he be neutered, with proof having to be provided to the breeder.
I am not that versed in "breeder speak" so forgive me, but what is a limited registration?
And if he/she is sold as a pet only, why do you not require them to be spayed or neutered?
Again, just curious, as I'm sure there is a logical explanation giving that I don't know what a limited registration is.

Thanks, and sorry if it is inappropriate to ask.

Linda
Amari's Gunner 9/14/08

Buddy (kitty) 8/15/07
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

A limited registration is not giving the puppy buyer breeding rights. With a limited registration they would not be able to register the litter/puppies with the AKC. So the puppies would never be able to be registered as purebreds.
We can require the neutering/spaying of puppies on the contract at a certain age, but how can you really enforce it years later??? Sure, some people will honor the contract, but trust me, not all of them do.

Carolina Johnson

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 04:40 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDBESTK9 View Post
A limited registration is not giving the puppy buyer breeding rights. With a limited registration they would not be able to register the litter/puppies with the AKC. So the puppies would never be able to be registered as purebreds.
We can require the neutering/spaying of puppies on the contract at a certain age, but how can you really enforce it years later???
Gotcha!
And yeah, I guess there are people out there that don't honor their contract.
Makes me sad that people are like that.

Linda
Amari's Gunner 9/14/08

Buddy (kitty) 8/15/07
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would certainly sign and abide by a contract that said "no breeding" but not one that required spay and neuter unless the dog had a health issue such as a retained testicle.......

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
I'm sorry if my question detracts from the thread, but I'm just curious.

When I got Gunner, as a pet only, I signed a contract that required he be neutered, with proof having to be provided to the breeder.
I am not that versed in "breeder speak" so forgive me, but what is a limited registration?
And if he/she is sold as a pet only, why do you not require them to be spayed or neutered?
Again, just curious, as I'm sure there is a logical explanation giving that I don't know what a limited registration is.

Thanks, and sorry if it is inappropriate to ask.
I am not a fan of spay/neuter for dogs. I do not do it with my dogs unless there is a problem, and I do not require it of dogs that people buy from me.

A limited registration means that the breeder has decided that this dog should not be bred, and the progeny if it is bred should not be registered. The dog cannot be shown in conformation with a limited registration. The breeder only can lift this and provide full registration.

Limited registration should help preserve the breed by ensuring that dogs with genetic problems noticeable at birth will not be bred and have puppies that are registered. Many people use it to try to protect their puppies from being used mainly as breeder dogs. So a dog with a limited registration may not have any fault at all. They just have an owner who is not planning on showing, trialing, breeding their dog.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page