Sick 3 week old pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Sick 3 week old pup

Hi! I'm new to the board! I have had Shepherds my entire life, love the breed so much we spent years into finding the right dogs to breed.. this is our first litter and up until yesterday, everything was going great.. I woke up to a pup in distress yesterday. He was vomiting, wheezing, and sleeping a lot.. (but would wake & move around) and it was coming out of his nose. I quickly grabbed him and helped him.. I then called our vet and rushed him there. Our vet checked his blood, stool, stomach & intestines, and x-rayed his lungs. everything was normal.. vet couldn't figure it out so he kept him all afternoon working with him. The vet ended up giving him fluids, a shot to stop the vomiting, and albon an antibiotic.. I got him home last night and he slept alot (s.e. from shot) and I woke him every 2 hrs to feed. I made sure to give him antibiotic on empty stomach because he seem to vomit after eating. I was up all night long with this little guy.. he would vomit after nursing. The vomit consists of mike and clear mucus. I did get a little bit of gatoraid in him with the med syringe.. and he kept it down.. but as soon as he fed... he vomited. I am stumped! Has anyone seen this before, or dealt with this and can guide me on anything I'm missing here? I'm not sure if I should call the vet or give antibiotic time to work and give him more gatoraid to keep him from dehydrating & to keep his blood sugar up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Crowned Member

Light Karo syrup can help with blood sugar or energy. Also a product called Pet Nutri Drops (I always have on hand for new puppies).
*I'm concerned because the vet had no real findings...did/does the puppy have a "fever"?
Several things come to my mind when I hear of a 3 wk old puppy with some of these symptoms....(besides the dreaded Parvo Virus).
1) Coccidia ( usually treated with Albon antibiotic).
2) Giardia (usually treated with Flagyl)
3) Trichomonas (usually treated with Flagyl)
I would also consider a form of Respiratory infection, to be a possible culprit.
*No way of actually knowing without the Vet results*.
JMO...I'm not a vet...so I can only speculate.

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

Megaesophagus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Elite Member

Call the vet and report that there is no improvement. A pup this young can dehydrate very quickly.
What did the vet check when you were in? Was the pups mouth/ palate examined? Have you tried feeding the pup by hand- to control the delivery of the milk?
I hope your little baby gets through this !!!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Crowned Member

Gag...I just thought about Mega....or even worms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Light Karo syrup can help with blood sugar or energy. Also a product called Pet Nutri Drops (I always have on hand for new puppies).
*I'm concerned because the vet had no real findings...did/does the puppy have a "fever"?
Several things come to my mind when I hear of a 3 wk old puppy with some of these symptoms....(besides the dreaded Parvo Virus).
1) Coccidia ( usually treated with Albon antibiotic).
2) Giardia (usually treated with Flagyl)
3) Trichomonas (usually treated with Flagyl)
I would also consider a form of Respiratory infection, to be a possible culprit.
*No way of actually knowing without the Vet results*.
JMO...I'm not a vet...so I can only speculate.
Robin, do you think she should get a second Vet's opinion?

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhuerta View Post
Gag...I just thought about Mega....or even worms.
I had a vet tell me mega-e would not show up in a 2-3 week old puppy....... that turned out to be wrong. It can, it does, and symptoms are spitting up the milk after eating/nursing.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

I would definitely seek medical attention....especially if the puppy is not showing any improved signs.
If the 1st Vet took blood, and checked for a temperature...I would also want to know those findings as well.
Puppies can also easily aspirate....so infection is always a possibility.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

Gag...the only Mega puppy I have personal experience with.....we diagnosed when he started eating solid kibble (approx 5-6 wks old). While he was eating "softened food"...he showed no signs.

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

I co-owned a bitch who had a litter, we thought she was an awful mom as the pups just died for no apparent reason. Made the decision not to breed her again.
Few years later, accidental litter. Pups started dying.

I got them and took them to the vet clinics over and over. Vets kept telling me it was gas, or they just did not know. Finally did a barium radiograph series on the last one (3 weeks old) and found that he did indeed have mega-e.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page