How much would you charge - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

How much would you charge

If you would import a preggo bitch from Germany. With all the costs involved, how much would you charge for a puppy.

I estimated the costs 3000 is almost not enough to cover the costs. However, I personally would feel uncomfortable to charge that much money. On the other hand I'd almost say why not? If both dogs are well bread and the demand is there, why not? There are so many breeders out there that have poorly bred dogs and charge almost double, so why shouldn't I, as a responsible breeder, who brings in a well bred dog from Germany charge 3500 Dollar for a puppy?

That way I have a little money left over that would go into gas money and literally pay for the trip to one of the shows. Because you bet that I'd proudly show my working line bitch.

So how much would you charge?
Profit or no profit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:18 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you are talking workinglines I don't know who would pay that much for a
puppy...even with excellent breeding.....maybe it if was older and had foundation training......I think Green dogs go for $4000 to $5000 hips and x-rays cleared and puppies are such a gamble.

There is no finanancial incentive I think unless you are into showlines. I am not saying such a puppy is not "worth it" but I am not sure the market would support it.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 AM

$3000 might not cover the initial investment but you have the bitch for life. If she's never been bred before then you have several more breedings available in which you can recoup costs. If she's worth importing then I would think there would be a continual demand for her pups.

Dog training in the NYC area!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 AM

Wow that's a lot of money But that's a comment coming from a 20yo student, so don't mind me haha. Are all GSD puppies so expensive or is this a very high quality breed line?

Feel free to add me on

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 AM
Crowned Member

She's talking about a bitch who is pregnant--so she's talking about the bitch, plus all the puppies in her belly.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
, so why shouldn't I, as a responsible breeder, who brings in a well bred dog from Germany charge 3500 Dollar for a puppy?
I think she is talking about a puppy and not the pregnant female......That is what I based my response on...........

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 AM

not a breeder here, but it would depend on the bitch/ breeding pair.

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I think she is talking about a puppy and not the pregnant female......That is what I based my response on...........
Woah! I haven't had my coffee yet

That is way too much for a puppy! Yeah, no one I don't think would pay that price for a WL puppy (showline people seem to be suckers).

Considering you can import your OWN puppy for the same price as buying a puppy here....

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

???? US$ 3000 for a titled koered WL bred female transported and in my hands???? WHERE ???????? Shipping and customs broker is probably $1000....the female and breeding $3500-5000 for an average female!

Saying you breed to a highly sought after dog like Javir or Bomber - those two seem to be the flavor of the month ***here*** - and you are a relative unknown ***here*** - you could get $1800-2000 per pup - if you get 5 pups sold at $2000, you have a "profit" on direct cost of say -$5000 ....that does not include vet costs, feeding mom and pups, whelping supplies etc....and assumes she actually whelps the litter without major veterinary intervention!!! Best case scenerio.....worst case - go see Selzer's most recent tragedy....alternative worst case - female is in hands, does not whelp litter, is rebred a few times and NEVER whelps a litter! She was a bargin because someone KNEW she had reproduction problems! For every good female who gives you that nice healthly litter after importing, there are 2 or 3 who are the last scenerio!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I know about all the risks that are involved, Wolfstraum. I don't have to read Selzers topic for that.

By the way, this is a hypothetical scenario. We don't know if this is going to happen yet. There is a lot of things that need to be factored. It will need a lot of planning from my end.

However, I might get a SchH1 and a SchH3 bitch from pretty good west-german working lines. Working lines I, personally consider good. The SchH3 bitch has everything I am looking for. There is NOTHING wrong with those bitches. Now that being said, I already know which dog would be mated with the SchH1 bitch and I am not going with something that is popular just because it's popular and would sell. I am going with what I and the breeder feel comfortable with, even if the dog is not all that known in the US. That's one thing I learned from my father.
She would not get over here until the pregnancy wasn't confirmed.

As for the SchH3 bitch. Now it would take a while until I'd get her. Like I said, there is no need to rush into things and as of now it's hypothetical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page