There are moments.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

There are moments....

There are moments, during the course of my daily duties, when I drum up in my mind some of the statements I have heard from people who called about puppies. The one that sticks in my craw the most in a variety of forms is "how come they cost so much?"

Why do they cost so much?

Well maybe because of February mornings when my dogs are inside with their legs crossed while I am outside fighting with the kennels. I live in the snow belt. Which means when other people have grass peeping through and the remnents of a snow plow pile still hanging on, I still have 18 to 24 inches of snow all over the place.

The dogs trample it down, and it freezes, then melts and is trampled, and it freezes and then melts, and so straw gets trampled into it, and it freezes and melts, until there is a flooring 3-5 inches deep on my kennel floor.

How I KNOW it is 3 to 5 inches deep is because I am 5-6 or 5-7 ish, and the kennels roof is 6 foot. But the two by fours that cross over the top of the kennels, hang down to 5-8 to 5-9 on the bottom edge. I think you know where this is going. CRACK! Yes, I had some bad cracks on the head today while weilding my pooper scooper blade/ ice breaker / support.

Maybe they cost this much because I am out there hacking away at the frozen mixture trying to free the gates enough for me to get a bucket of water and the pooper scooper into the kennel.

I get to Odessa's this morning, and this one is a little different, a couple of AKC kennel panels make the puppy pen a little smaller. I get in there, lift the latch and it is frozen to the ground. Using my calf and foot, I push the bottom to push the frozen tundra enough so I can get through and weild the ice breaker, scraping away at the frozen slurry to let the gate slide. Well, the bleeping thing disconnects at the bottom!

Suddenly, I am holding the whole lousy gate in my hand. (This was the last kennel I needed to clean, and after several good cracks from the two by fours.) But I doggedly attacked the ice and snow and tried to figure out how to get the gate back on track.

I beat back the ice and cleaned the bottom section, and tried to get the thing back together. And it just would not go! By this point, I was speaking in tongues, and Odessa decided that she was better off inside away from the crazy lady with with the hoe.

Why do they cost so much???

I went back in, and brought water buckets and dogs out, slipping and sliding on the half frozen, half thawing, wet muck.

I do not know the science behind it, but poo has a freezing point that is lower than water. Because the grownd was pretty much frozen, but the poop was mushy. Nice. When it is good frozen turds, you can smack them with your garden tool, and poo separates from the frozen concrete or snow and flies neatly into your scoop.

But when the poo is moist and the ground cover is not, you must scrape the poo and the top layers of snow off. This means that you are pulling up nine parts snow ice mixture to one part poo. This means the scoop fills nine times faster than usual, and you have to empty it nine times more. Yippee. This means walking over the frozen slippery yuck nine times more placing yourself in the peril of falling.

Falling with a full pooper scooper is not a pleasant concept. And while you are concentrating on where you are stepping and staying upright, sometimes, you fail to notice the two by fours laying in wait for your forhead.

With a bucket of steaming water in one hand, and your support in the other, and a crazy two year old running circles around you trying to trip you up, and you are wondering if you remembered to take your cell phone off of the burner and put it in your pocket in case the maniac dog manages to break you leg for you...

The whole time, you are hoping that the whole procedure is not taking too long with respect to the bladders that remain unrelieved in the house.

When you add it up, I mean when you really add up all the time and all the work and all the money and all the thought that goes into a litter of puppies, do people really understand what a bargain they are getting???

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 02-07-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Sometimes it's good to vent.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, you need a helper. Can a breeder get an intern?

FWIW, I think my GSD was worth every penny.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Personal Ad:

Desperately seeking someone who will brave the elements and drive out into the boonies in the snowbelt in NE Ohio, every day at the crack of dawn to help clean poop, de-ice runs, fill water buckets, and feed dogs. A disclaimer releasing me from any liability if you fall or are otherwise injured on the property. Your reward will be in the form of doggy kisses and greetings.

I can hear them lining up for the position already. Hope I do not have to interview too many, masochists give me the creeps.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

The things we do for love ............
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

Hey! I do this too - no kennels - but still - and get no money and STILL get people asking why the adoption fee is so high - as if we make anything off of that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

Hmmm, so why are they so expensive where it doesn't snow? jk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2011, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Probably to help pay for their air conditioned dog houses???

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page