Female GSD will be ready to breed soon - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Female GSD will be ready to breed soon

My fiance and I have a GSD named Mysteek Piper Metz. She is true German bloodline and we are looking for another German Bloodline to breed her with. She just came into her first heat on Sat. 10/09/2010. we plan to breed her one time and that will be when she comes into her next heat. we offer pick of the litter for whoever we breed her with. She is about 70-80lbs and 15months old. Very smart very loyal and loving. anyone who isnt too far away because we dont want to have to travel too far for a male.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Crowned Member

Have you done any health testing, particularly for elbow/hip displaysia?
Any titles of any sort, such as SchH, agility, OB, etc.?

What makes you feel your bitch should be bred, aside from the fact you want one litter from her?

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

We have made an apointment to have that double checked soon. In her contract when we baught her it states that she has a lifetime guarentee that she wont get hip displaysia but we are double checking anyway. we are going to get her completely ready for when the time comes. I dont want to breed her on her first heat. we just want to have everything ready for when the time comes. We also only plan to breed her once and then have her spayed. and please help me. I really dont know a whole lot about GSD's excypt for what I read up on before buying her. what do you mean by titles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Crowned Member

Hip dysplasia cannot be "guaranteed". Many breeders offer some sort of guarantee but it's really more like a warranty (you get money back or a new dog). HD is a polygenic condition, it is not nearly as simple as not having it because both parents don't. It is only diagnosed or ruled out with x-rays, so your dog needs to be x-rayed by a radiologist who is familiar with how to position the dog and what they are looking at as far as HD and your dog's breed and age. You cannot get OFA certification until your dog is 24 months old.

Since the dog has not even been evaluated and has no titles (doesn't sound like you are working towards any?) I think it is very premature to be looking for potential stud dogs. How will you be able to find a stud that is a good pairing for your bitch when you don't know about her health or know her strengths and weaknesses as far as temperament and drive (since she has not been trained for titles)?

The types of studs you are going to attract with this sort of ad are probably not the type you want near your dog. Good stud dogs will not be breeding with physically and mentally immature bitches with no health certifications or titles. May sound harsh but that's reality here.

To be honest this sounds like a train wreck. You admittedly are not familiar with the breed or the titling process. What is your reasoning for becoming a breeder (yes, intentionally breeding a female means you are a breeder)? What are you hoping to produce with this litter?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

You can't 'guarantee' a dog won't get HD or ED, even if both parents are OFA excellent. There are plenty of dogs with OFA's parents that still get displaysia of some sort. However, by breeding two OFA'd dogs, the risk for it is reduced, but NOT eliminated.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Crowned Member

Why are you breeding her and not just getting her spayed?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
HAHA! that was my reaction. I just like to watch when this kind of stuff comes up.

~ Cayla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

The best thing to do here is probably educate him/her about why they shouldn't be breeding that dog. She admitted she didn't know much about the breed, so the best thing we could probably do here is educate and inform if they ever come back and they're willing to listen.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Knighted Member

I'm so with GSDElsa- except mine is lasagna. To the OP I know you posted this with the best of intentions so read the breeding section on here before jumping into something you know nothing about. People breed for the breed and not just for one liter. If your female can't contribute to the breed anything that is already not there don't bother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page