A Question For Breeders - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

A Question For Breeders

This morning I am thinking of the breeder where we got Chief, and some of the things that he told us about breeding dogs. At the time, we were interested in making Chief a stud dog. He told us that all his dogs are tested as pups. He said it was a temperament test of some sort. If the pup did not pass the test, or showed any signs of bad temperament, it was killed on the spot. He said it was to make sure that no "bad" dogs came from his kennel, and to keep his dogs lines great. Does this still happen?

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

This is called "culling". Culling by killing the pup is not common, no. It used to be more common than it is now, and while I suppose it may still be practiced by some breeders here and there it is certainly not the norm. Typically pups with some sort of fault that would preclude them from breeding would be placed on spay/neuter agreements in approrpriate homes, not killed.

I also cannot fathom what sort of temperament test would be performed on a young pup, who by virtue of such a young age has a temperament that is far from fully developed, that would be so predictive certain results would demand a death sentance. While it is possible for a young pup to have such horrible temperament that it is a lost cause even in the best home, such would be very, very rare. And if a pup is so poorly temperamented at a young age that it needs to be killed, then the whole litter, and maybe bloodline, might need to be scrapped because there are some seriously bad genetics floating about in it. Especially if it is occurring enough in that bloodline to warrant such extreme culling policies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The bloodlines were excellent with this breeder. Chief was born in 1988, so maybe the practice was more common then than it is now. That was what I was thinking myself, why not spay/neuter the " unacceptable" ones? Here is Chief's pedigree to show the bloodlines that this breeder used, at least with Chief's parents. I don't know about his other dogs lines.

Mom to
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000

Last edited by Wolfiesmom; 04-25-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Elite Member

My experiance is that CH. doesn't attest to the dogs temperment much. Judges also have different perspectives on what each breed should bring to the table, and if the breed standard calls for aloofness, the judge may take it a little far.
But my understanding is that for the most part show dogs are used to being handled by stangers...no?
Sorry for derailing the post!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetal View Post
My experiance is that CH. doesn't attest to the dogs temperment much. Judges also have different perspectives on what each breed should bring to the table, and if the breed standard calls for aloofness, the judge may take it a little far.
But my understanding is that for the most part show dogs are used to being handled by stangers...no?
Chief was one of his show dog breedings so what you are saying is probably true. He also bred dogs that weren't show dogs, so I can't say where their bloodlines came from, if they were the same or not.

Mom to
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

Did he say how frequently he culled a puppy? That seems an odd thing to tell a (potential) buyer. On one hand, perhaps he was thinking you might be relieved to know he killed all the aggressive ones (tongue in cheek here), but on the other one would think buyers might be alarmed to hear his breedings were producing puppies so evil they needed to be killed on the spot.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
Did he say how frequently he culled a puppy? That seems an odd thing to tell a (potential) buyer. On one hand, perhaps he was thinking you might be relieved to know he killed all the aggressive ones (tongue in cheek here), but on the other one would think buyers might be alarmed to hear his breedings were producing puppies so evil they needed to be killed on the spot.
I don't think he would have told the buyer off the street this. We were friends with him, and interested in the breeding process. You never know though, he was an ex Marine, vietnam vet, and very tough and straightforward.

Mom to
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
I don't think he would have told the buyer off the street this. We were friends with him, and interested in the breeding process. You never know though, he was an ex Marine, vietnam vet, and very tough and straightforward.
I don't think you can really tell at such a young age but that's beside the point.
If he isn't telling potential buyers that part of a litter was aggressive he's not doing anyone any favors...basically he's hiding faults in his line.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfiesmom View Post
The bloodlines were excellent with this breeder. Chief was born in 1988, so maybe the practice was more common then than it is now. That was what I was thinking myself, why not spay/neuter the " unacceptable" ones? Here is Chief's pedigree to show the bloodlines that this breeder used, at least with Chief's parents. I don't know about his other dogs lines.
Many very well known US showlines, esp. those of Lance - probably one of, if not THE most famous show dog sire!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetal View Post
Many show dogs are that way but by no means all of them. The ones who are handled by pro handlers are usually but many of the owner handled dogs sometimes are not used to strangers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page