what to look for? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

what to look for?

I got Kali last year. She is such a great dog. Truly my best friend. I took her in for a regular vet visit when she turned 1, and she's good... no problems. I found her on Kijiji.com/Classifieds. She was from an accidental litter. I guess you can say it was irresponsible of her mom's owner to have a litter, however, it happened, and I'm blessed with a great companion. Her mom was on site and looked like a healthy beautiful dog. I also have seen her dad. (pics on my profile) As she gets older, should I be concerned with genetic problems, considering she wasn't from a tradional breeder? Anything specific I should look out for?

She's a great dog, wouldn't change things for the world.

Kali's best friend... Jonny Rico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:52 PM
Crowned Member

You could get some prelim x-rays done to check for common problems like hip and elbow dysplasia and other things that show up on the hip x-ray (some lower back problems show up without having to do an additional x-ray).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Lies regarding the xrays. But to be quite honest, even the best breeders can have a sick pup. Buying from a good breeder was described to me as "stacking the deck in your favor" but even so you could end up with a dog that has bad hips or a medical condition.

But...if you spend your time worrying about it you'll spend a whole lot of unnecessary money at the vets! Enjoy your pup and take her to the vet if there is something going on but I don't think that testing and worrying for possible illnesses is necessary.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

I totally agree. Kind of like the Laws of Attractions! lol. I just want what's best for her, and want to make sure she lives a long healthy happy life!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

which is it, do you agree or not?? testing is a great
way to maintain your dogs health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I agree with Lies regarding the xrays.

Enjoy your pup and take her to the vet if there is something going on but I don't think that testing and worrying for possible illnesses is necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page