Dog Is In Labor! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Dog Is In Labor!

So, we have these people currently living with us and their dog is currently in labor. Mixed breed, God knows who daddy is......

Just as I suspected, despite the fact I've delivered many litters, they are the know-it-all family and my advice is never right. The first puppy took 1.5 hours to get out (Kept popping out and then being sucked back in), was born breech and even though I said we needed to pull it out 3 times it wasn't until they called the moms sister (vet tech) who also told us to pull it out that they actually listened. But I'm not the one allowed to do it even though I've removed MANY puppies. The unexperienced 17 year old is to do it. Thankfully the puppy came out because she was going to just pull out a breech puppy. And I mean PULL IT OUT. The head on the puppy is MUCH bigger than moms vajayjay and I'm surprised the puppy even came out.

I picked the puppy up to check it out and get yelled at by the 17 year old that if I touch it she wont take care of it because her first litter died and they touched the puppies. So much for biosensor exercises, I'm sure those will kill the puppies too. Here comes another batch of messed up puppies because they wont have human contact for quite a while.

They also have NO supplies. They wouldn't even get a $1 nasal sucker because "she did fine with her last 2 litters". She is currently giving birth in MY dogs wired kennel because the only other option is a $300 bed spread or our white carpet. Which the 17 year old wanted but it's going to be bad enough already when my mom and her boyfriend find out the dog is having puppies, if their stuff gets messed up they are going to be FURIOUS! They didn't want them to bring Gizmo (mom) in the first place.

Now mom is in labor with the 2nd puppy and the 1st is off to the side, screaming (Probably cold considering the temp of this room) and I'm not allowed to remove the pup to put on a heating pad while mom deals with this next baby.

My headache is increasing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Elite Member

ummm...idk what to say. Who are these people living with you? The puppies are going to die if they keep being so ignorant. Do they know that you have delivered many puppies already?

A mixed breed in labor who already had two litters? that's sad on the part of those owners....and sad for all the dogs in shelters

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

thats ridiculous!!! I say your house, you do what you feel is necessary. ESPECIALLY since you have the experience to back it up. and smack the **** out of the 17 year old!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 03:43 PM
Master Member

Grrr!! Your house, not the 17 year old's. The pups are going to be damaged or die if her feelings are considered to be more important than the mom and pups' welfare. You know what you are doing so kick her off and finish the job, deal with fallout later.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

She delivered 3 beautiful puppies. They're fat, active and seem healthy. Mom is doing a great job with her new babies. She (17yo) is gone for the night to a friends house so it'll be easier to keep an eye on mom and pups. They are my moms, boyfriends family. His sister and her 2 kids. So I'm in a tough spot when it comes to saying something, added to the fact it's not my dog.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Crowned Member

No, it is not your dog. Not your house I am guessing either. Probably just have to watch and wait. I think it is best to touch the puppies, hold them and pet them so long as the mother doesn't stress over it. The worst thing would be to stress her out, but it does not sound like that is the problem.

So maybe you can sneak pets when no one else is around? It is in their best interest. I don't know. You do not want your folks angry with you.

When you originally said "Pull it out" I was literally putting my foot to the floor trying to put the brakes on. But it sounds like when you say "pull it out" it does not mean the same thing as what the 17 year old girl was going to do.

I do not like them being in a crate. But it is really not up to you.

As for the heating pad, well, my vet told me that heating pads are one of the worst things people do with puppies. So I have always not used one. I use a small soft side, top loading pet carrier or pet bed with extra towels in it, and set the puppies in it while the bitch turns around having the next pup. Too much liquid in the process. Once the dam has the pup and is cleans it up, I will put the others back with her. Then she usually lets me finish up the new pup, weigh it, write down the vital statistics, put rick rack on it and put it down to nurse.

The pet carrier/pet bed works nicely for days every time I want to clean the box.

They have done this twice before, but have no idea what they need or the supplies they need.

I take it they are living with you all because they have some type of financial problems? It was nice of your folks to let them bring the dog. It is not the dog's fault that her owners are making poor decisions.

No good advice for you. Sounds like you have experience with whelping and such. Family can be pretty exasperating at times.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe the first litter died because the owners had no clue as to what they were doing. Mom probably suffocated them because they were in a crate vs a whelping box. Can you get a kiddie pool for them? That would be much better than that crate. Fingers crossed this litter is healthy and can find great forever homes. At least they have you looking out for them.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-25-2010 at 05:18 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Knighted Member

You said vajayjay, ROFLMAO okay I've had my Oprah moment for the day,lol So you live with your mom, her bf, his sister, and two of her kids- wow I'd be stressed too. Obviously intelligence forgot to run on the bf's side of the family, but as long as the momma and pups are doing well it sounds like things will be okay.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Crowned Member

Well, I thought of a kiddie pool, but that will not keep momma from moving the puppies over the white carpet onto the bedspread. If you had a good baby gate, and a kiddie pool, I think that would be better, but it will not stop a bitch from suffacating a puppy. You need pig rails for that.

None of this stuff is really hard or all that expensive, but it takes planning. And it might be one of the things your mother's bf's sister needs improvement on.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Since she is in school during the day and her mom FINALLY got a job, I do plan to sneak in cuddles when they aren't home. I've already snuck pictures in. It's just annoying the fact they don't want the puppies touched.

And when I say pull them out, I don't mean I was litterally going to pull them out but try and help open the vaginal area so the puppy can slip out easier. She on the other hand was going to grab it half way up it's belly and pull! She thinks the idea of touching her "cooch" is nasty. Thankfully the puppy came out before we had to do anything.

I don't have much options for where to keep them right now since they wont pay for anything and I just lost my job over a stupid Facebook post so I don't have money either.

They are planning to keep the 2nd puppy ( They're also getting a GSD puppy as soon as they move out) and 2 friends from the girls school are planning to take the other 2 pups. If that goes through, I don't know but we'll see. I found a program at our local SPCA where they give certificates for people to get $20 spay and neuters. There is a 4 pet limit per household, and I'd be willing to pay for the 2 other puppies (I should have another job by the time they're old enough to rehome. I'm not crazy about the idea of fixing an 8 week old puppy but I feel like it's a much better choice in this situation than hoping their new homes are responsible) if they'll pay for mom and the puppy they plan to keep. Hopefully we can prevent future litters.

@ Zoeys Mom - Add to that their dying mom/grandma. It's VERY stressful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page