DNA Testing Of Your Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

DNA Testing Of Your Dogs

I was wondering what would you do if by chance you tested your dog and found that the DNA didn't match your dog for say. I have heard of this happening to others before and that AKC canceled registration for that dog. This hasn't happened to me due to testing our dogs when we get them. But I have seen where a female from a said kennel was DNA tested and it didn't match after she has had a few litters

Would you go after the breeder in question and what would you do?

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" == Winston Churchill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Narys Policia ZVV1
Faust Cierna Vdova ZVV1, BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Knighted Member

Good question. I'd ask for the purchaserice back but only because I made it clear that I'd like to show/work with my puppy.
For any of my other dogs, I'd be ticked that I paid so much for something that wasn't what I thought I was buying; but in the end I would have paid the same amount for the same dog again
I actually found out one of our friends that bought Jax's brother haggled a significant amount off the dog that they bought (and normally I'm a very cheap person!) but I would never haggle down the price of a family member
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 10:23 AM

I am in the middle of something like this now with Hunter..

The story as it was told to me when I got Hunter was nothing more then " waiting for the DNA before you can get your AKC paper work"

What I learned was a whole different thing then what I thought was stated.

The story, as I have now got it from the AKC and then the breeder, Hunters Fathers, Father is in question. This was something that happened out in Ill. I guess. When it was figured out, They attemepted to change the paperwork, AKC said no way, not with out proof. What makes this difficult, Hunters Fathers, Father, had been killed, anitfreeeze by a nasty neighbor, so the DNA had to come from some other source..

The status of this now, as I know it, the DNA testing has been completed, and is now in route to the AKC for a ruling.

We bought Hunter as a pet, but when we kept hearing all of Positive feedback about Hunter, then is when my wife decided to possibley show him.

When I confronted the Breeder, after I learned what was going on. She imediately said" well you can bring the puppy back, and I will give you a refund" This PIZZED me off, if I could have gotten through the phone, she would not have survived. I replied.. " How about I get myself a lawyer, I keep my dog, you give me my money back, pay for my lawyer, and I get another dog". She calmed down, and this was when I learned EVERYTHING that was going on.

I believe this DNA thing from the AKC is going to be a good thing though, it will keep some of the trash from dealing dogs. We had promised our breeder that HUnter was going to be Hip checked, knee checked, and a DNA swab at the age of 1. Although I am hearing that we shouldnt do the hip and elbows until the age of 2?

Pat

Hemrick "Hunter" Vom Loganberg (3/6/10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Elite Member

Interesting!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Correct on hips and elbows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another truck View Post
I am in the middle of something like this now with Hunter..

The story as it was told to me when I got Hunter was nothing more then " waiting for the DNA before you can get your AKC paper work"

What I learned was a whole different thing then what I thought was stated.

The story, as I have now got it from the AKC and then the breeder, Hunters Fathers, Father is in question. This was something that happened out in Ill. I guess. When it was figured out, They attemepted to change the paperwork, AKC said no way, not with out proof. What makes this difficult, Hunters Fathers, Father, had been killed, anitfreeeze by a nasty neighbor, so the DNA had to come from some other source..

The status of this now, as I know it, the DNA testing has been completed, and is now in route to the AKC for a ruling.

We bought Hunter as a pet, but when we kept hearing all of Positive feedback about Hunter, then is when my wife decided to possibley show him.

When I confronted the Breeder, after I learned what was going on. She imediately said" well you can bring the puppy back, and I will give you a refund" This PIZZED me off, if I could have gotten through the phone, she would not have survived. I replied.. " How about I get myself a lawyer, I keep my dog, you give me my money back, pay for my lawyer, and I get another dog". She calmed down, and this was when I learned EVERYTHING that was going on.

I believe this DNA thing from the AKC is going to be a good thing though, it will keep some of the trash from dealing dogs. We had promised our breeder that HUnter was going to be Hip checked, knee checked, and a DNA swab at the age of 1. Although I am hearing that we shouldnt do the hip and elbows until the age of 2?
You shouldn't do hips and elbows before 2, anything before is just preliminary, and a waste of time and expense. At 2 you'll have full formation and a proper picture.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

Unless you pennhip, or if you go with the SV, you can do it before 2.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 AM

How does the DNA testing work? I've heard it's rather inexpensive these days. What is the process and how much does it cost? I've always been curious. Also, how accurate is it?

"My Shepherd brings light to my day and love to my life..." Rebecca, and my GSD Sawyer
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Master Member

You can go on www.offa.org to look up the information that you are asking about with the DNA testing.

Kelly S
Boeselager German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:52 AM

I did DNA testing on our dogs and it is just a check swab that you send back to the AKC and they send you a certificate. It cost $35.00 a dog. it was simple. As for the DNA inconsistency, I would want my money back and keep the dog. I would go to the extent of a lawyer and a court case, (as a matter of principle). I purchased my dogs as breeding animals. I would do the same for a person who purchased my dogs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Wow I guess some have their horror stories about this happening. I think it would be a good practice for all breeding dogs to have to be DNA'ed before they are allowed to register a single litter. I do know since February 2006 every import before they can register a litter has to have this process done. And to do this for all breeding dogs would only take the breeders that are a bit shady out of the breeding circle.

Yes the tests are rather cheap and it makes sure the dog comes from the lines you think they do. And if not then there is someone that has to answer for it

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" == Winston Churchill

Narys Policia ZVV1
Faust Cierna Vdova ZVV1, BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page